A&M observes Constitution day

Turning 231 years old, the U.S. Constitution is being celebrated at Texas A&M from Sept. 15 through Sept. 24.

This September, the U.S. Constitution turns 231 years old. Texas A&M is celebrating  Constitution Week — Sept. 15 through Sept. 24 — with events aimed to educate people on the history and anniversary of this important document.

1. Ever thought, “Man I wish I had a copy of the Constitution but smaller?” Well you’re in luck. The George Bush Presidential Library will be giving away miniature copies of the U.S. Constitution to the first 50 visitors on Sept. 17 from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

1. “Inventing America”will be playing on KAMU TV throughout the week. The historical reenactments are great summaries of the events leading to the ratification of the U.S. Constitution and will be a great reason to make some popcorn and watch it in bed. Check out KAMU’s broadcast schedule to see when the show will be playing.

1. More of a movie type of Ag? The University Libraries Diversity Advancement Committee will have a free showing of “13th” by Avu DeVernay in Evans Room 204E. This documentary takes a look at the 13th Amendment, which abolished slavery, and examines how it shaped the rest of U.S. history.

1. Cruel and Unusual Punishment: A Constitutional Answer will be a discussion on the Eighth Amendment, the death penalty and prison conditions led by a panel of experts in Rudder 401. This event is free and includes a question and answer session afterwards.

1. A&M’s Albritton Bell Tower will have a slight change of tune Sept. 17 at 3 p.m. as it participates in Bells Across America, playing patriotic music in honor of the U.S. and those who fought for it.

1. Throughout the month of September, the La Villita chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution will have an exhibit on the Constitution on display in the Larry J Springer Library.  

Constitution Week will take place from Sept. 15 through 24. The full list of events can be found on the Office of the Provost’s website.