‘America’s Got Talent’ winners to come to A&M

MSC+OPAS
Photo by Courtesy
MSC OPAS

With a band of circus dogs in tow, the 2012 “America’s Got Talent” winners Richard and Nicholas Olate are coming to campus.

The father-son duo behind the dog-variety show “The Olate Dogs,” will perform at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Saturday in Rudder Theatre. The duo has performed across the country since winning the 2012 season of “America’s Got Talent.” 

“It was definitely surreal,” Nicholas said. “It’s been a couple of years since the show, and it’s nice to know that people are still interested in us. It’s wonderful and humbling.” 

Nicholas said being on “America’s Got Talent” definitely helped the act gain more recognition and interest from audiences everywhere. 

The show includes new dogs and acts since the duo appeared on national television. In addition to signature tumbling and back flips, the show will include a newlywed dog couple slow dancing to Frank Sinatra, comedy acts and — Nick’s personal favorite — a fashion show.

“We never really dressed up the dogs before, but one day thought, ‘Hey, we should add a fashion show. It’ll be fun,’” Nicholas said.

Richard has been in the circus business for 48 years, but decided to make their variety show standalone rather than part of a circus show. 

Nicholas said the process of preparing dogs for the stage requires a lot of patience.

“Working with dogs is pretty different than working with people, but then again it kind of depends on the dog and the trick that you’re training for,” Nicholas said. “I try and help him with whatever I can, or do creative things. We get a group of dogs and train them all to do a trick like a back flip or something, and we see which one ends up picking it up the easiest. It’s like a process of elimination thing to see which dog is the one that we end up training.”

Mother and business partner Rebecca Olate said having a family-run act has allowed the family to get closer.

“I love it. It can be challenging but it can be really rewarding, too,” Rebecca said. “We’re with each other 24-7, and have gotten a lot closer through the whole experience.”

Rebecca said her family takes pride in making each show unique.

“Every skit is different from the last,” Rebecca said. “We all worked really hard to put together a show that’s this entertaining.” 

Guests can purchase tickets in the MSC Box Office or online. Tickets range from $19 to $39.