Anthropologist to lecture on Kennewick Man discovery

Douglas Owsley, head of the physical anthropology department at the Smithsonian Institute, will visit A&M to discuss his book that details the archaeological discovery of the Kennewick Man.
“Kennewick Man: The Scientific Investigation of an Ancient American Skeleton,” chronicles the discovery and investigation of a skeleton found in Washington State dating back 9,000 years. The skeleton is the most comprehensive set of ancient remains found in North America.
“I want to provide background in this exceptional discovery,” Owsley said.
Thomm Lemmons, acquisitions editor of the Texas A&M Press, said the book’s sales were so popular that A&M press had to reprint the book in order to meet the demand.
“It’s a fascinating detective story, really,” Lemmons said. “It adds to our understanding of the past.”
Owsley, who studied the ancient remains of Jamestown settlers and forensic case investigations, said he was excited about his partnership with the Texas A&M Press.
“I’m pleased that we went to the Texas A&M Press for this book,” Owsley said.
The event will take place at 10:30 a.m. Thursday in Rudder Auditorium. Tickets are free and are available at the MSC Box Office.