Art league provides display space for aspiring student artists

Photo by Jena Floyd

The Brazos Valley Art League show off student art at their Spring Show. 

The art community in Brazos Valley is carving out a space for students in the local art scene.
The Brazos Valley Art League opened its spring show on March 24, with pieces featuring all manners of styles and subjects. 
Molly Wallace, program director for the Arts Council of the Brazos Valley, said participating in the Art League is a great resource for college students, especially those who want to go into the arts.
“It’s really awesome to have local artists and see what they’re all doing,” Wallace said, “This is sort of an opportunity to have them do whatever they want.”
For college students who wish to join the Art League, Marti Dunn, social chair of the Art League, said membership is $40. Members can attend meetings on the first Monday of every month at noon. 
“One of our shows is open to college and youth through high school,” Dunn said, “And we’ve had some college students come out.”
Sherry Killingsworth, the president of the Art League, said if college students want to enter a piece in a juried show, they can enter in a variety of divisions such as student, adult student and non-professional. In addition, Killingsworth said the league hosts member shows in the spring and the fall, along with themed shows. 
“We will have a themed show in the fall and the theme is ‘Up close and personal,’” Killingsworth said. “So it could be a self-portrait, which is kind of what we were going for. Our last themed show was ‘The blues’ and it could be music blues, or the color blue or anything that has to do with blue.” 
The Spring Show is featured in the Arts Center on Dartmouth Street until June 1. Admission is free and the center is open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sundays.