Art Nouveau touring collection makes stop in Aggieland

Art+Gallery
Photo by Photo by Megan Cusick
Art Gallery

In a calm space full of dim light, the Memorial Student Center’s Forsyth Gallery features the captiving works of Czech artist Alphonse Mucha.
The exhibition Alphonse Mucha: Master of Art Nouveau is available for free until Dec. 16. The travelling exhibition is composed of selections from the Dhawan Collection and includes 75 rare original lithographs, drawings, books, posters and more to showcase the artist’s mastery in advertising, illustration and design. These works by Mucha are representative of the Art Nouveau movement,which took place from 1890 to 1910, combining picturesque elements with whiplash curves, flowing lines and imagery inspired by the natural world.
Assistant director Amanda Dyer said Mucha’s work in advertising stood out in comparison to street art that had been previously witnessed, as he sought alternatives to the eye-capturing, garish style of other artists.
“He used muted, pastel colors,” Dyer said. “The effect was quite captivating [and] contrasted greatly with his contemporaries. He laid the groundwork for the Art Nouveau style.”
Mucha’s style was so influential to the Art Nouveau movement that it was initially referred to as ‘Le style Mucha,’ Dyer said. The artist incorporated elements of natural form into items of everyday life, including posters, books, calendars, postcards, postage stamps and banknotes.
Mucha’s art was often conceived as advertisement, Dyer said, which can be seen in his posters promoting French actress Sarah Bernhardt’s plays.
“Sarah Bernhardt can be compared to actresses like Meryl Streep or Julia Roberts today,” Dyer said. “[It’s] advertising, which one normally doesn’t see in a museum.”
Even after more than a century has passed since its initial creation, the relatability and beautiful designs of Mucha’s art make this collection deserving of a gallery exhibition, Dyer said.
“It is clearly beautiful artwork,” Dyer said. “[It] displays subjects that everyone can relate to, even 120 years later. Everyone has a bicycle, eats cookies and reads magazines.”
Sociology junior and gallery attendant Cierra Jackson said touring exhibits often come with a set of instructions to ensure delicate works of art are not damaged. This exhibit was no different and came with lighting instructions that gave the gallery a different atmosphere, Jackson said.
“Usually the lights are a lot brighter,” Jackson said. “For this exhibit, they told [us] the lights had to be a lot dimmer than what they usually are. I think it was because of how old the pieces are… they didn’t want to mess anything up.”
Environmental design senior Chavonne Jennings said the lighting makes the gallery feel even more special. After seeing Mucha’s work for the first time, Jennings said she found the detail within each piece compelling.
“He really does a good job of telling a story through his pieces,” Jennings said. “There’s always multiple things happening – foreground, midground, background – and all these different props. … It seems more like a fairytale rather than advertisement.”

• Art Gallery

Photo by Photo by Megan Cusick