Art of love, Love of art’ event to showcase music, poetry

Love has many forms and is communicated in a variety of ways.
To communicate the experiences of love, the MSC Woodson Black Awareness Committee will host “The Art of Love, The Love of Art,” where students will perform both musical and spoken word poetry acts on Thursday at Rudder plaza.
“It is a spoken word showcase for students to form their expressions of love, both good and bad,” said Eric Washington, executive staff member at WBAC. “And however it is, whether they’ve felt love in their past or have experienced it, and they’re bringing it to the Texas A&M community in order to just kind of let people know that either they’re not alone in their experiences in love or just to get a new sight on what exactly love might be to others.”
The event will feature more than ten students and more than 20 acts total, ranging from spoken word to a live graffiti art showcase by Austin based artists Andrew and Nicki Horner.
Terrell Feathers, WBAC executive staff member will perform a spoken word piece entitled “The Love Language,” and said the piece encompasses the Greek words for Love — Agape, Eros and Philia.
Feathers said he hopes to communicate how a person can find different forms of love in one person.
“I think that sometimes we don’t realize that, you know — Philia means brotherly love and friendship that’s embodied in friendship, and friendship is love,” Feathers said. “From Eros what we define as desire or passion, you know you look at it as erotic and how sex can be a form of love. And just from Agape the unconditional love that I think everybody should express toward another human being just in general whether you’re their friend or not.”
Members from Mic Check Poetry will also perform, including president Madison Parker, Class of 2014, who will read two of her poems, one entitled “To be woman is to be water.”
“It’s about the aspect of loving yourself from a woman’s perspective and the expectations that society can place on a woman,” Parker said.
Each act in the showcase will give students a window into their peers’ experiences with love, and serve the purpose of giving students a new perspective on some of love’s many forms, as well as help them relate to the messages of each act, Washington said.
“[It] definitely also just to kind of give students a chance to express their feeling on stage to the A&M community and to a broad audience,” Washington said. “Since we plan to have it in Rudder plaza it will definitely be out in the open for everyone to experience.”
“The Art of Love, The Love of Art,” will be from 6 to 8 p.m.