Texas A&M infielder Amari Harper (13) throws the ball during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Friday, May 24, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)

ArtFest winner thanks university for nurturing talent

Sarah Stimson, senior communications major, has called herself an artist since 2011 when she took her first drawing class at A&M, and has since impressed fellow students and professors with her creativity, natural talent and diligence to her craft.
The most recent acknowledgement of Stimsons talent came when she was awarded Best in Show for her painting, Night Self Portrait II at ArtFest, an annual juried student art contest held by the MSC Visual Arts Committee. Her piece now hangs in the MSCs Reynolds Student Art Gallery along with the other contestants works.
Stimson said it was slightly anxiety inducing to offer up such personal work to the eyes of the campus.
I am somewhat nervous to have people see my work, Stimson said. All my stuff is pretty personal, others may not interpret or recognize it as being so private. It is like putting my diary out there. I created this piece with the thought in mind that no one would ever see it which makes it much more honest.
While Stimson is majoring in communication, she is also minoring in art. She credited her professors for cultivating her talent and inspiring her to view art as not just a hobby, but as a career.
For me, I see that A&M has not always had a big art scene but I didnt care about that, Stimson said. I was lucky I found really incredible faculty my junior year that picked me up and invested in me. I think there is a hunger for art here. There is a lot of creativity at A&M that we dont give ourselves credit for.
Felice House, Stimsons painting professor and an assistant lecturer for the Department of Visualization, called Stimson a fiery art star.
Every once in a while you get a student who has a perfect combination of talent, dedication, drive and enthusiasm, House said. Sarah Stimson is that student. I have no doubt that she is headed places.
Stephen Caffey, Stimsons art history professor and an assistant professor for the Department of Architecture, said Stimson is naturally talented when it comes to artistic creations.
There are people for whom being an artist comes so naturally that they almost have no choice as to whether they will pursue art as a calling, Caffey said. Sarah Stimson falls in [that] category.
Caffey said Stimsons drive and talent have distinguished her from the rest.
I expect Sarah to achieve great things as an artist, and I am honored to have had the pleasure of working with her as a professor and as a mentor, Caffey said. Sarah is proof that Aggies can excel in any discipline, any pursuit and any form of creative expression. Her extraordinary work ethic distinguishes her as exceptional among the hundreds of students with whom I have worked over the past nine years.