Award-winning play opens in Downtown Bryan theater

In the dark of the 29th Street Studio, two lovers, bound by passion but restricted by family, will devise a plan to salvage their relationship before the last curtain call.
This weekend the Brazos Valley Troupe will be presenting the Oscar and Pulitzer-Prize winning play, You Cant Take it With You, by Moss Hart and George S. Kaufman. The play will be directed by the Troupes very own M.A. Sterling.
Sterling said the play boasts historic value based on its prestigious awards and classic film adaptations.
The original production of the play opened in Booth Theater on Dec. 14, 1936, where it ran for 837 performances, Sterling said. The play won the 1937 Pulitzer Prize for Drama and became the basis for Frank Capras 1938 film You Cant Take it With You, starring James Stewart, Jean Arthur and Lionel Barrymore.
The story takes place in New York City, and focuses on the contrasts of two particular families, the Sycamores and the Kirbys. Tony Kirby and Alice Sycamore fall in love, thus forcing the two families together. But after the Kirbys have dinner with the Sycamores, they discover their worlds may not be compatible. The Sycamores believe in living life to the fullest, while the Kirbys believe in a Material World.
Sterling said the play allows viewers a comedic release and is relatable from generation to generation.
People see this play time and time again because they need a good laugh. It also shows love of family and transcends time, Sterling said.
Jeff Garrison-Tate, who plays the character of Grandpa, said the play teaches a valuable lesson to all audiences.
The lesson that the play teaches is to be open minded. Dont be judgmental, Garrison-Tate said. The play is beautifully written. Who you are and what you do is greater than material items. The script shows us that those that have the least give the most,
Sara Brittan, who plays the character of Alice Sycamore, said the play upholds family values.
The play shows us how important family is. They can be eccentric and out there, but you still love them, Brittan said.
Sterling said the performance is worth seeing because it helps the audience escape reality.
The power of a theatre performance has the ability to take you away from your troubles, because they are going to be waiting for you when you walk back outside, Sterling said.
The production of You Cant Take it With You will be showing at the 29th St. Studio in Bryan in The Town & Country Center. Tickets may be purchased by emailing [email protected] or by calling 979-846-4903.