BoomFit creates welcoming atmosphere

Crossfit
Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett
Crossfit

For Charlie Lima, Class of 2004, owner of BoomFit Personal Training in College Station, maintaining a positive environment has been a priority since he began his personal training business in 2003.
BoomFit is a local gym that provides both CrossFit classes and personal training to clients seeking to better their lives, whether it be physically or mentally. CrossFit classes are offered throughout the day in a group setting, while personal training is based on meeting privately with an instructor.
CrossFit is a renowned cross-training program that focuses on performing exercises such as weight lifting, pull-ups and running at high intensity. Lima said the biggest difference between BoomFit and other CrossFit gyms is the culture.
“Regardless of how long or if at all you’ve been doing CrossFit, you’re going to come to our classes and feel welcomed and encouraged,” Lima said. “It’s not just about performance and great athletes. That’s a big difference here at our gym.”
Lima said his main goal was never to own a gym. However, because of his love for personal training and his ability to make his clients a priority, Lima has been able to turn his hobby into a successful business.
“The goal isn’t necessarily to have more,” Lima said. “The goal is to continue to take care of the ones that are here. It just so happens that we attract new customers because when you have that environment, you can’t keep it quiet. Word gets out.”
Sam Colthar, a nutrition major at Blinn, has been working out at BoomFit since August. Now one of Lima’s employees, Colthar said one of the biggest ways BoomFit stood out from other gyms he’s been to is the the way he was treated as a client when he first walked in.
“One of the coaches was the first one to greet me, and then everyone else introduced themselves after that,” Colthar said. “It’s a genuine interest in the people here from the other members, which is really nice.”
Brandon Castro, BoomFit personal trainer, said working for Lima has renewed his love for fitness. According to Castro, the structure at BoomFit is similar to that of a family, which makes tough workouts much easier.
“It’s so nice doing your workouts with each other and cheering each other on,” Castro said. “It’s like having a team again, and you’re all striving for the same goal. At the end of the day, everyone’s trying to better their own fitness, but doing it with other people.”
Colthar, who has been doing CrossFit for eight years, hopes to one day own a gym with a community that is as successful as BoomFit. Colthar said his main objective is to promote fellowship among his gym members, as well as helping those individuals meet their goals.
“What really gets me fired up are the people who come in and want to get their first pull up, or maybe this is their first time to step into a gym,” Colthar said. “That makes me look toward the future.”
According to Lima, BoomFit’s mission statement is “building better people.” Lima said those exercising are on their way to becoming a better version of themselves and individuals that walk through the doors of Boomfit Personal Training do so for a significant purpose.
“Anybody who comes to this place, I want you know that you matter,” Lima said. “You mean something to me personally as the owner, but more importantly to our gym family. You are someone that we look forward to getting to know on a deeper level and we are happy that you are here.”

• Crossfit

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett