Freshman Heather Abadie stalls out during the pole vaulting competition at the SEC Indoor Track and Field Championship on Saturday, Feb. 26, 2022.
Soaring for success
Youngchan Kang, JOUR 359 contributor • May 8, 2024

Supported by an athletic family background, junior Heather Abadie has continued to soar toward her ultimate Olympic goal as she sits atop Texas...

Brazos Valley: Home of the 12th Fair

Photo courtesy of Brazos Valley Fair and Rodeo

The 12th annual Brazos Valley Fair and Rodeo invites the 12th Man to enjoy two weekends of rodeo, fair events and concerts. 

There is only one place in the world where sea lions, fifteen breeds of horses and a Lego competition co-exist: the 12th annual Brazos Valley Fair and Rodeo. This year’s fair and rodeo will kick off on Friday, Oct. 13 at 5 p.m. with the main fair weekend taking place Oct. 20-22.

Fair and Rodeo Assistant Manager Avery Fisher said the annual event takes place at the Brazos County Expo and will begin with its signature event: the tractor pull.

“It’s a really cool event to come out and see,” Fisher said. “If no one’s ever seen that, it’s where we see what tractor can pull a big weight the farthest, which one makes the loudest noise and the most black smoke — all those fun things.”

A total of six competitions, including the tractor pull, will take place over the weekend. Alongside returning events for those not involved in the weld-off, woodworking or barbecue cookoff competitions is the Lego contest, Fisher said.

“It’s a new contest this year,” Fisher said. “Participants will actually build something [agriculture] related and then drop it off the day of the contest. It will be judged by judges and then it will be on display the next weekend at the [main] fair for others to see. It’s a good way to get kids — who maybe aren’t involved in agriculture — to get them thinking about agriculture.”

In addition to the new competition, Fisher said the first-ever parade of breeds will close out the fair’s first weekend.
“We have a parade of breeds that is happening this Sunday, [Oct. 15],” Fisher said. “It’s all horse breeds. Fifteen or 16 different breeds of horses will be here at the North Arena. It’s a free event. We’re excited about that because a lot of people don’t know how much agriculture is around us. Right here in the Brazos Valley, we have all kinds of horse breeders.”

The main weekend will have both traditional events and events unique to the Brazos Valley Fair and Rodeo, Fisher said.

“There are a lot of fun events that we have planned on our fairway,” Fisher said. “It’s not every day that you get to see sea lions in the Brazos Valley. We have a lumberjack show that’s new this year. Lumberjacks will cut wood and do all kinds of tricks and stuff in the water on wood. The [swifty swine] pig races have always been one of my favorites. Little piglets run around in circles trying to get the next Oreo.”

Multiple artists will perform at the fair’s main weekend, including Texas country artist Colby Cooper on Friday, Oct. 20, T. Graham Brown opening for Doug Stone on Saturday, Oct. 21 and Pesado headlining on Sunday, Oct. 22.

Celebrating its 12-year anniversary, the rodeo and fair wanted to commemorate the special year with a nod to Texas A&M, Fisher said.

“It’s the 12th year, so [the fair] is all Aggie-themed,” Fisher said. “We’re really excited about that. On Saturday, Oct. 21, we will be handing out Aggie 12th Man towels that say, ‘Whoop it up Brazos Valley Fair: Home of the 12th Fair.’”
The fair hopes to make the weekend enjoyable for people of all ages, Fisher said.

Pre-sale tickets are on sale through Oct. 16 for $15. General admission tickets will be $20 at the door.