Bring it On’ brings more than music

Get ready for high-flying stunts, singing, dancing and most of all, get ready to bring it on.
Fresh off the Broadway stage, “Bring It On: The Musical” tells a tale of overcoming adversity through the bonds of friendship forged in the world of high school cheerleading.
Garnering Tony nominations for Best Musical and Best Choreography, the musical features an original story written by Tony Award winner Jeff Whitty. The story adapts its base storyline from various aspects of the films in the “Bring It On” franchise.
Anne Black, executive director of MSC OPAS, said she was “really blown away” by the show when she saw it on Broadway. Black said she had an initial reluctance toward the musical because she was not excited for anything except for the choreography by Tony Award winner Andy Blankenbuelhler. Black said she encouraged people to look beyond the cheerleading and see the deeper message.
“You will be pleasantly surprised,” Black said. “It is a show about everybody. In your lifetime you will have a major disappointment you will have to deal with. That’s what the show is all about. Cheer is just the dressing.”
Cheerleading also provides a platform for the musical to address race, class, sexuality and gender identity. Cast member Sharrod Williams plays La Cienega, a transgender member of the cheerleading squad. Williams said cheerleading helps convey the messages of diversity and love in the show that will resonate with people of all ages.
“Cheerleading, being a sport that takes place on various levels including high school, college and all-star, alludes to the fact that individuals take part in cheerleading within a wide age range in life,” Williams said. “Given that, cheerleading is the perfect medium to use to express the message because these themes and life lessons are things that people of all ages relate to throughout their lives in combination with a sport mentality, which helps to tell any story.”
Williams said telling this familiar story with song and dance gives it an edge not found in the movies. Meggan Plyler, sophomore biology major, said she is curious to see how the addition of music the plot line.
“I’m interested because the movie wasn’t a musical,” Plyler said. “I want to see what songs they will do.”
MSC OPAS will present “Bring It On: The Musical” at 7:30 p.m. Thursday and Friday in Rudder Auditorium. Tickets are available for purchase through the MSC Box Office.