Bryan restaurant approaches 10th year of hosting salsa lessons

Dance lessons begin at 9 p.m. on Wednesdays at The Village Cafe.

Newcomers and experienced dancers alike gather at The Village Cafe on Wednesday and Saturday nights for salsa lessons and social dancing.
The Village Cafe in Bryan began hosting Wednesday salsa sessions in 2009 after the start of Salsa Saturday. The Saturday lesson consists of the same half-hour “Intro to Salsa” lesson every week, but after noticing the attendees wanted a more in-depth lesson, Salsa Wednesday was born. The instructors focus on teaching salsa, merengue and bachata.
Wednesday sessions begin with a one-hour dance lesson at 9 p.m. followed by social dancing until midnight. According to instructor and host Chris Zebo, Wednesday’s lesson is more comprehensive and progressive, meaning students who show up on multiple begin times will have an arsenal of moves to launch on Salsa Saturday.
“Saturday is about the energy people take away,” Zebo said. “It’s hard to sleep after a Salsa Saturday because your body is still running on ‘salsadrenaline’ hours after the lights come up. They often say about Aggieland, ‘There’s a spirit can ne’er be told.’ Well, you might not hear it, but you sure can feel it on the dance floor.”
Zebo said salsa clubs usually attract diverse crowds, hosting people from all over the world each week.
“I think salsa, merengue and bachata is some of the best music written and performed in human history,” Zebo said. “It’s not only sophisticated musically, but it’s also so catchy. It seeps into your soul really quickly, and once it’s in there, it makes you move. You just can’t help it; it’s contagious.”
The events have attracted students such as biomedical science freshman Lily Pena and biology freshman Maria Gonzalez. After an exciting introduction to the salsa scene, Pena said she plans to continue attending.

“It was honestly such a great experience because you’re surrounded by people who are genuinely curious about learning the different dances and are all there to have a great time together,” Pena said.
Gonzalez is from Laredo, where people can cross the Mexican border in five minutes and enter the Mexican city of Nuevo Laredo.

“Coming from a Mexican family and area filled with the Hispanic culture, the ambiance, people and music took me back home,” Gonzalez said. “I have to admit I was a little intimidated at first, but after seeing everyone enjoying themselves, I realized I was worried for nothing.”

Salsa Wednesday is approaching its 10-year anniversary, making it the longest-running salsa night in Bryan-College Station history, according to Zebo.
“We’ve taught over 30,000 people how to dance in the past decade, and we’re going to teach even more,” Zebo said.