Campus is alive with ‘The Sound of Music’

In “The Sound of Music,”governess Maria shares a love of music with the Von Trapp children.

MSC OPAS is bringing “The Sound of Music” to Rudder Theatre on Tuesday and Wednesday as the latest show in this year’s lineup.
“The Sound of Music” is a classic musical that has entertained families on stage and on the big screen since its first opening night in 1959. However, the version most people are familiar with is the 1965 theatrical release which gave the musical the credibility it has today.
Nearly 60 years, five Tony awards and five Academy Awards later, songs like “My Favorite Things” and “Do-re-mi” are staples in the music world, and “The Sound of Music” remains popular, even among younger audiences.
“‘The Sound Of Music’ is special to me and my family,” said biochemistry and genetics sophomore Stanzi Rowe, a member of the OPAS student committee. “It is our tradition to watch it every Christmas.”
Rowe said she is excited that audiences can experience the show in person at A&M.
“It’s a classic musical that everyone can enjoy,” Rowe said. “It’s fun and upbeat with a wonderful message. It’s a perfect musical for people who don’t typically attend OPAS performances.”
Business sophomore and OPAS student committee member Alexa Cherry also recalls “The Sound of Music” from her childhood.
“We always watched ‘The Sound of Music’ in my elementary music class and it’s the only way I remembered how do-re-mi goes — iconic,” Cherry said. “I haven’t seen the movie or heard a lot of the songs since around fifth grade, so I am excited to actually understand and appreciate the intricacies in the plot and the show’s relevance in history.”
“The Sound of Music” will be part of a larger selection of musicals that relate to OPAS’ overall theme for this season — “Raise your Voice.”
“We came up with that theme because we had so much choral music,” said OPAS Executive Director Anne Black. “We had the Choir of Man, Soweto Gospel Choir and Celtic Woman Christmas [is] coming up. ‘Sound of Music’ too is all about singing and raising your voice, which is the primary way it fits in.”
Black said “The Sound of Music” is one of her all-time favorite musicals, and she’s excited to see how many people will be attending the show at Texas A&M.
“It is our top seller,” Black said. “We have already sold about 4,000 tickets. Everybody knows the story and everybody knows the music, so if you’ve never been to a live theatre performance or a Broadway musical, this is a great one to start with.”