Celebrating the history of Texas

Parker McCollum
Parker McCollum

Musicians and community members are coming together to celebrate Texas Independence Day at the first Republic of Texas Fest on March 2.

In 1836, the Republic of Texas became its own nation as its independence from Mexico and setting the roots for the Lone Star State. While Texas was annexed into the United States in 1845, event organizer Greg Henry said Texas Independence Day is still a reason for celebration.

Country musician Josh Abbott of the Josh Abbott Band was the first to present the festival idea. As a personal friend of Henry, Abbott began organizing this event with Henry almost a year ago with the intent to host the festival in Aggieland.

“College Station has always been one of our favorite places to play, and we’re excited to be a part of such a huge lineup at this year’s Republic of Texas Fest,” Abbott said. “Being able to play alongside some of the best in the business who are also buddies of ours makes this one pretty special. We’re looking forward to bringing the party and hope to see the crowd having as much fun as we are.”

Henry said the timing for the festival could not be any better since Texas Independence Day falls on a Saturday this year.

“I have been coming to [College Station] since 1997,” Henry said. “The fans and the camaraderie in that town… seeing how tight that student organization was and all the traditions [Aggies] have over there just amazes me.”

Henry said he has past work experience that has been useful during the planning process for the upcoming festival.

“I’ve been promoting shows for 22 years and I have made a lot of mistakes along the way,” Henry said. “But every year, we do our best to give the customer the best experience.”

Apart from great music, Henry said fans should expect a smoothly operating festival full of memories for all ages.

“We want to create a laid-back atmosphere for your friends and family,” Henry said. “ You can come in there and forget about the bills you gotta pay or the debt you may have, forget about everything for a while and live in the moment. We can’t wait to bring this magic to College Station.”

A portion of the proceeds will benefit JAB Cares, a charity group run by the Josh Abbott Band to support deserving organizations in towns the band visits during its tours.

A full bar, soft drinks, water and barbecue will all be available on site for festival goers. Musical acts include Grant Gilbert, Kaitlin Butts, John Bauman, Wade Bowen, Parker McCollum and the Josh Abbott Band.

“Three of the main bands coming are some of my personal favorites,” biomedical science freshman Blake Bellomy said. “Being able to see all three in one place is gonna be awesome.”

“We hope to do it every year,” Henry said. “It might not be exactly on Texas Independence Day, but as close as possible.”

For more information or to purchase tickets  visit republicoftexasfest.com or email [email protected].