Choir of Man to kick off US tour at Rudder Auditorium

Choir of Man

The Choir of Man held their first U.S. premiere party on Monday at Carney’s Pub & Grill, where they demonstrated a short piece of what can be expected during their full performances on Oct. 2 and 3.
The Choir of Man is a performance group from the United Kingdom consisting of nine members. They have toured across the U.K. and Australia putting on musical acts that range from pub tunes to classic rock. They are now on their first-ever U.S. tour and will be putting on their first show Tuesday at Texas A&M in Rudder Auditorium.
Denis Grindel, narrator in The Choir of Man, grew up in a small town in Ireland and said he had only seen America from his television.
“It’s amazing the show has grown so quickly,” Grindel said. “It’s only a year to a year and a half old, so to have a U.S. tour is unbelievable and we’re all so excited.”
Rudder Auditorium is larger than the 700-seat theaters they are used to performing in, Grindel said.
“I would describe the show as the ultimate feel good night out centered around a group of nine guys who you find in your local pub,” Grindel said. “We want the audience to feel like they’re the 10th person in a group of friends.”
Cast member Freddie Huddleston said the group hopes to bring people together and wants to motivate the audience to talk with people they have never met before.
“I hope they feel Happiness,” Huddleston said. “I wish the audience feels like they are out in their local pub and that everyone in there are friends. That is the vibe that we like. We want to make everyone feel loved and more.”
Huddleston said he wants the audience to feel comfortable and hopes to create a “cozy” atmosphere.
“The audience should expect to hear some tunes that they will know, cheer with us, smile with us, laugh with us and maybe cry with us,” Huddleston said.
Far from just a collection of songs, Grindel said the performance addresses real life issues such as mental health.
“At the end of the day, it’s not just about the big dances and singing in the show,” Grindel said. “There’s a message that you can take home — a heart at its core.”
OPAS Executive Director Anne Townsend Black said OPAS is very excited to host the opening show of The Choir of Man’s tour. Black said that when she first saw them, she wanted them to perform at A&M.
“This is a show that just feels fun,” Black said. “It has a broad music appeal that can project to a wide age range.”