Cinematic favorites star in live debut

Full of ritzy numbers and classic characters, HOORAY FOR HOLLYWOOD dances audiences down memory lane, showcasing popular movie musical moments from the last 50 years in a display of live performances and theatrical talent.
The timing is great because it will be just a few days after the Academy Awards, OPAS executive directorAnne Black said. I think students love movies and song and dance shows, they love Broadway and most of these movie musicals were also Broadway shows.
From the creators of Spirit of the Dance, HOORAY FOR HOLLYWOOD will feature a variety of scenes from movie musicals that have charmed America. The cast of 14, New York-based singers and dancers and a live six-piece band will perform more than 30 songs including hits such as Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Time of my Life, We Go Together and Dancing Queen from classic productions such as Dirty Dancingor theatrical favorites likeMamma Mia!
Stephen Dawkins, senior computer science major and OPAS chair of student committee, said with its live renditions of Hollywood favorites, audiences can expect to be swept up by the familiar and nostalgic tunes.
They bring all of the well known classic pieces from film and put them together, so you are guaranteed to find something that youve loved in the past plain and simple, Dawkins said.
Jamie Baptist, a dancer for HOORAY FOR HOLLYWOOD, said the show features a versatile array of performances, leading audiences through different time periods and styles of dance.
This show goes from the absolute classic, old fashioned movies like, The Glenn Miller Story all the way up to more modern twists like Hairspray, Baptist said. The dancers change movement and have mental changes as the scenes move through different time periods. A lot is learned through these quick changes in just an hour and a half.
Baptist said her favorite productions are those taken from classic hits released in the 80s.
I enjoy the 80s section of the performance, Baptist said. Footloose and Flashdance, are my favorites. It was just a great period for dance and costume.
Theatre sets, backgrounds and costume production are made to showcase close replicas of classic musical scenes. Some special effects will also be incorporated into the performance. For a musical scene from Singing in the Rain, artificial rain will be used on stage to bring the classic film to life.
It is hard to beat the rain on the stage in Singing in the Rain, Black said. Its one of the all time wonderful musicals.
Baptist said memorable film props will be used throughout the performance.
During Jailhouse Rock, jail bars will fly on stage, disco balls will be used during Saturday Night Fever, and Singing in The Rain will have the famous bench and lamp post, Baptist said.
Dawkins said each scene is intricately brought to life by different on-stage aspects.
They try ultimately to bring the scene to life, Dawkins said. That goes beyond the scene itself, it goes with the props and the costume changes. There are over 300 costume changes.