Comedy and murder: An unlikely pair

MSC+OPAS
Photo by Courtesy
MSC OPAS

“A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder” is a musical that takes risk in its storytelling by finding humor in a man’s quest to kill his relatives.
The musical had audiences in Rudder Auditorium laughing on Tuesday, as the Broadway cast stopped by for their nationwide tour. “A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder” tells the story of Monty Navarro D’Ysquith, a poor man who learns that he is an heir to aristocracy. In order to become rich and impress the woman he loves, Monty plots to kill the eight relatives that are before him in the line of succession.
The show opens with a musical number that warns audience members who are “faint of heart” to leave the show. It is a spooky scene that leaves the crowd wondering what they got themselves into. Shortly afterward, Monty learns of his potential fortune and eagerly tells his upper-class sweetheart. When she brushes him off, Monty becomes committed to obtaining the wealth that would excite his beloved.
Throughout the musical, the same actor, James Taylor Odom, plays each of the family members that Monty seeks to get rid of. Ryne Nardecchia, the show’s dance captain and swing actor, said this feature is always a treat for audiences.
“A lot of people say they like seeing how James progresses throughout the show and who he plays,” Nardecchia said. “They think it’s very funny and we like to ask what their favorite death was in the show.”
The music in the show ranges from eery to cheery, and keeps viewers engaged. Thomas Schneider, engineering freshman, said the score made the show unique.
“It’s a peppy kind of music,” Schneider said. “I also like the comedic aspect that was played into it because when you really think about what the show is about, it’s a terrible thing. But they play it off in such a way that you’re laughing the whole time. The music plays right into that. It’s just such an upbeat and fun musical to watch.”
Alex Watson, a College Station resident, said the comedy made the subject matter of the show seem light.
“It was pretty interesting and funny,” Watson said. “I liked that it was whimsical, even though it was about killing people.”
Madison Hughes, OPAS Director-at-Large, said she was glad the Tony award-winning musical came to College Station. She praised the visual aspects of the show, including the sets and costumes.
“When I saw the stage, I was in awe,” Hughes said. “I thought it was so pretty. I loved it.”
Schneider said anybody could enjoy this musical, which makes it different than others.
“It’s a comedy, so it’ll make you laugh,” Schneider said. “This is a fun musical. There are so many that are deep, but this one will really brighten your day when you see it.”

• MSC OPAS

Photo by Jeremy Daniel (www.jeremydanielphoto.com)
  • MSC OPAS

• MSC OPAS