Contestants create literature-inspired recipes in festival

Edible+Book
Photo by Tim Lai
Edible Book

Love of literature met culinary skills Wednesday as students and other contestants whipped up their best book-inspired recipes to compete in the Edible Book Festival. 

The event, hosted by A&M Libraries, had eight judged categories, each of which awarded up to $150 in Barnes and Noble gift cards. The festival boasted creative interpretations of books in a delicious way — through food.

“[The Edible Book Festival] is an opportunity to celebrate literature, reading, the culinary arts and creativity in a really fun and great way,” said Stephanie Graves, coordinator of learning and outreach at University Libraries.

The entries ranged anywhere from “50 Shades of Cake,” a grey cupcake collage, to “What’s Your Poo Telling You,” an entry made from fudge. The Best in Show award went to “Castle in the Air,” a castle cake based on Diana Wynne Jones’ novel.

Among the literary puns on display were “A Sprinkle in Thyme,” “Banana Karenina,” “Where the Mild Things Are” and “Great Eggspectations.”

With students, staff and children competing, the panel of three judges had its work cut out for themselves, Graves said.

“The punniest and the grossest are pretty easy, but when you get into the student and staff entries I think it becomes more of a subjective call,” Graves said. 

The festival not only provokes people to come and see interesting food art, but also promotes seeing literature in a new way, said Nicole Bernard, who won Best Student entry at this year’s contest for “The Ugly Duckling.” 

“I think it is really fun for people because if they have read the book in school and it may have not been the most interesting thing, now they can see it turned into a fun competition and it becomes more relatable than just reading and writing essays,” Bernard said. “It’s fun to have art because literature is an art form so it’s nice to have different art forms of the same story.”

All 86 contestants received a T-shirt, win or lose, and were invited back again next year. Bernard said she is already planning another entry.

“I would love to try again next year — I mean I’m not doing it for the prize money or anything,” Bernard said. “This is a passion of mine.” I really just love creating things out of food for fun.”