Country artists sing from soul

Drowning in a sea of mainstream music, it can be difficult for new artists to find a place to grow in the spotlight. But for the Texas Country duo Rosehill, scheduled to play Saturday at the Lakeside Icehouse on Lake Bryan, heads have started to turn and show interest.
Theyve grabbed my attention, said junior architecture major Brian Sowell. I like their style a lot. Its definitely Texas Country.
Rosehill was established in 2009 when vocalists Blake Myers and Mitch McBain, best friends and natives of Cyprus, Texas, went to Nashville and were encouraged by music producer Radney Foster to become a duo.
Rosehill then released their first album, White Lines and Stars, in 2010. Their single Dream It All Over Again, became a No. 5 hit on the Texas Music Chart and the music video debuted on Country Music Television as did another music video for the song Midnight America.
Crooked Thoughts, Rosehills second album, is set to release Oct. 30. Myers emphasized the desire to make a record of strong and diverse songs.
This record has a little bit of everything, Myers said. We wanted to put together a complete record.
Myers said they write many of their own songs and the songs are inspired by life experiences. Rosehills most recent single, When The Flame Goes Out, is one such example.
When The Flame Goes Out is about relationships that you go through before you find the person youre supposed to be with, Myers said.
Jaret King, sophomore agricultural communications and journalism major, said he likes the song.
It sounds like something Eli Young or Randy Rodgers would sing, King said. I love the lyrics and the instrumental. You know youre listening to a country song when you hear it.
In the last year Myers and McBain have been on the road touring and they enjoy playing in College Station.
Myers said he is a lifetime Aggie fan and College Station is his home away from home. As a child, he came to Texas A&M tailgates and football games with his family and also spent time going to school in College Station.
McBain said he also holds an appreciation for Aggieland.
The people and students in College Station are just awesome, McBain said. They have a love for country music, and you cant just get that anywhere.
Rosehill will play Saturday at 8 p.m. at the Lakeside Icehouse on Lake Bryan. This is the bands third time in Bryan-College Station in the last two months after playing with the Josh Abbot Band in August and playing at Ziegfest in September.