Daughter surprises dad with Aggie Ring

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Junior Marcela Falck-Bados surprised her dad, José Falck-Zepeda, with a Class of 1988 Aggie Ring this weekend.

More than 6,200 Aggies received their rings this weekend at the largest Ring Day to date. Classes that were represented ranged from 1950 to current students, but there was one ring that was long overdue and well deserved.
Marcela Falck-Bados, international studies junior, received her ring on Friday and has been planning and saving money for the past two years to present her father, José Falck-Zepeda Class of 1988, his Aggie Ring.
“My father came to this university as an international transfer student from Honduras. He showed up with just two pieces of luggage and could not get his ring when he earned his hours,” Falck-Bados said. “I know he deserves this more than anyone.”
Unfortunately, Falck-Bados’ plan to surprise her father on Ring Day was interrupted by northern storms that canceled her family’s flight from Washington, D.C. on Thursday, so Marcela presented the ring to her father Saturday at her women organization’s, Aggie Keys, family weekend event.
“We were so upset that we weren’t going to make Ring Day and that they weren’t going to get their rings at the same time, but I think this was very special today,” said Marcela’s mother, Rina Bados-Sierra.
After a tear-filled presentation, Falck-Zepeda said he was glad to have the ring.
“This is a wish that I always had. I wanted the ring, but I could never afford it as a student. As time went by, other priorities came into our lives. It is an unfulfilled wish that came true today,” Falck-Zepeda said.
Marcela and her mother found it very difficult to get Falck-Zepeda’s ring size without giving away the surprise.
“My father doesn’t wear a lot of jewelry, just his wedding ring and he never takes it off,” Falck-Bados said. “So one day my mom and I told him we were going to get his wedding band cleaned and she ran into my room for me to trace the shape of the ring.”
They were worried that the sizes may be different since they were measuring his left hand and his wedding band has been worn for a long time.
“My husband hasn’t taken off his wedding ring much in 26 years. I kept thinking about how we were going to find his ring size. We took the paper with the tracing to the jeweler to find out his size and went up a size from that,” Bados-Sierra said.
 Marcela’s father came to Texas A&M in 1986 to study animal science after previously studying agronomy in Honduras for three years.
Falck-Zepeda said he did not attend his graduation because he already had a job by the time his classes were over his senior year. Falck-Zepeda went on to earn his masters degree and Ph.D. in agricultural economics at Auburn University, where he stayed for his post-doctoral degree.
“This is important to me because my dad has worked so hard to be where he is today. This is the goal that every student is working toward and he didn’t get it to enjoy that. I wanted him to have that feeling of excitement,” Falck-Bados said.
After waiting years to receive his Aggie Ring, Falck-Zepeda said he was thankful.
“I know it sounds a little bit corny, but wishes do come true,” Falck-Zepeda said.