76th Speaker of the Senate Marcus Glass, left, poses with incoming 77th Speaker of the Senate Ava Blackburn.
Student leaders reflect on years of service in final Student Senate meeting
Justice Jenson, Senior News Reporter • April 18, 2024

The Student Government Association wrapped up its 76th session by giving out awards such as the Senator, Committee and Statesman of the Year...

Freshman Tiago Pires reaches to return the ball during Texas A&M’s match against Arkansas on Sunday, April 7, 2024 at Mitchell Tennis Center. (Lana Cheatham/The Battalion)
No. 14 Aggies receive early exit from SEC Tournament
Matthew Seaver, Sports Writer • April 19, 2024

The No. 14 Texas A&M men’s tennis team fell to the No. 44 LSU Tigers 4-3 in a down-to-the-wire duel on Thursday, April 18. Facing off at...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Downtown Bryan decks the halls with the Lights On! Festival

File photo by Hannah Shaffer

Downtown Bryan has been decorated for the holidays.

Hang your stockings and say your prayers because Downtown Bryan has officially kicked off its holiday season. 

Historic Downtown Bryan commenced its holiday celebrations with the annual Lights On! Festival that includes holiday pictures with Santa, train rides and live music. The main event was turning on the festive lights throughout all of Downtown Bryan and the Christmas tree. 

Community health senior Shelby McAlister attended the celebration with her friends. McAlister said her favorite holiday is Christmas because of all the happy memories associated with the day.

“I absolutely love everything about Christmas and the holiday season,” McAlister said. “When I heard about this event, I knew I had to go. One of my favorite memories is decorating my Christmas tree with my family and the excitement of seeing my Christmas lights turn on.”

McAlister said this was the first time she had attended the festival, but she would love to go again next year. 

“I think because College Station is such a small city it is hard to host big events like this one, so I always want to take advantage of the opportunity and attend when they do host an event,” McAlister said.  “Especially because I have a dog, it is difficult to find festive events that my dog can come to. I loved walking around with my dog Lanie and seeing all the decorations around the block.”

Alongside her friends, education senior Sarah Guilstorf attended the Lights On! Celebration. Guilstorf said she wished she would have found out about the event earlier in her college years because she had such a good time. 

“Getting to hang out with my friends and get in the holiday spirit is such a gift,” Guilstorf said. “As a senior, I am trying to cherish every moment with my friends and this was such a core memory for me. We took pictures by the Christmas tree and even got some with the Grinch.” 

After watching the Christmas tree and lights get turned on, Guilstorf ventured around Downtown Bryan. 

“We saw the lights turn on and light up the block, it was such a heartwarming experience,” Guilstorf said. “After, we got some hot cocoa and went on the train. It was one of my first times being in Downtown Bryan, so I liked seeing it be so festive and colorful.” 

Allied health senior Kendall Graham said this was her second time attending the Lights On! Festival. 

“I love the Downtown Bryan area,” Graham said. “It has such a cozy atmosphere and delicious restaurants. After watching the lights be turned on, my friends and I went and ate at Rx Pizza. It was a very wholesome night and I’m glad I got to share it with my best friends.”

Graham said her favorite part of the event was the people. 

“Seeing all the families and kids having a fun time is so heartwarming,” Graham said. “I love kids, and they were so adorable in their get-ups. I saw kids dressed up as elves, Santa and even reindeers.” 
As a graduating senior preparing for professional school, Graham said she likes attending these wholesome events to manage the stress of school.
“After taking a hard exam or writing essays, it is so nice being able to walk around and really take in the holiday season,” Graham said. “There’s nothing quite like spending time with your friends and feeling all the Christmas joy.”