Expressing Aggies’ Minds

Aggie+Minds
Photo by Annie Lui
Aggie Minds

The MSC Visual Arts Committee (VAC) hopes to bring a sense of community where all Aggies feel safe by sharing an art exhibit centered around the difficult experiences and conversations about mental health.
Aggie Minds, opened on April 25, is an art gallery located in the MSC Reynolds Gallery and available to the public until June 9. During this time, students can see a variety of artwork created by fellow students from creative prose and poetry to sculpture and photography that focuses on telling an individual’s experience with mental health.
Meghan Grayson, visualization senior and the public relations director of Aggie Minds, has been one the students working to ensure this exhibit can reach its full potential. She said the display will have a significant impact on the student body because it will create a sense of community between the artists and spectators.
“Aggie Minds is a student exhibition exploring mental health topics and personal narratives,” Grayson said. “I feel like an exhibit like this is really important for everyone to see and experience because it can show someone that there’s another student out there who shares their perspectives or struggles.”
Grayson also said it is necessary for the student body to have the ability to express their stories in an supportive environment.
“We need to discuss mental health as students,” Grayson said. “I feel like this exhibit is a good way to get a conversation started without it feeling forced or fake. These are real students with real stories.”
MSC VAC Chair, Mary Casillas, has worked with students to install Aggie Minds. She said the diverse range of art on display makes the exhibit a one of a kind experience for anyone who comes survey they art.
“Aggie Minds is a unique student exhibition because poems, fiction and other creative works will be on display along with the usual 2D and 3D pieces,” Casillas said. “This exhibition focuses on mindfulness and mental health awareness, which concerns all students at any university.”
For the VAC, their primary focus for Aggie Minds was to create awareness on campus and facilitate a way for people to create a discussion that often doesn’t happen.
“We wanted to give visitors the opportunity to learn more about their fellow Aggies and discover more about mental health,” Casillas said. “This is important because the gallery starts a conversation about mental health, which normally wouldn’t happen on campus. We still struggle as a society with talking about mental health as a real, serious thing.”
Mary Compton, program coordinator of the MSC Student Programs, said pieces on display will resonate with everyone on the university’s campus.
“All of the pieces are striking to me,” Compton said. “I think the students will enjoy viewing all of the creative works by their fellow Aggies.”
Compton said during her time organizing the event, she has loved the privilege of getting to witness the strength of Texas A&M’s students.
“We always enjoy receiving art submissions from TAMU students,” Compton said. “It is amazing to see the creativity they have. The pieces for Aggie Minds have inspired me in many ways. I enjoy that every piece in Aggie Minds holds significance to the students. I am inspired by the students’ bravery to take this opportunity to express themselves and demonstrate them conquering their own demons.”

• Aggie Minds

Photo by Annie Lui