Fame, fortune and all that jazz

Photo by Courtesy

MSC OPAS welcome the longest running broadway show to Rudder Auditorium as Chicago is performed from April 17 to April 19.

Chicago, the longest running Broadway musical will travel to Aggieland, showcasing themes of fame and fortune with a hint of jazz and features music from famous American composer John Kander.
Actress Bianca Marroquin portrays Roxie Hart, a beautiful woman in a loveless marriage who is involved in an affair with Fred Casely and then murders her lover.
“When Fred tries to walk out on [Roxie] she shoots him,” actress Sophie Lee Morris said. “She gets arrested and ends up in Cook County jail with the rest of the ladies and men and it tells the story of her having to wind up in jail and find a way to justify her murder and use it to elevate her to a place of fame.”
The story takes place in the Roaring ‘20s and will feature musical number after number in an exciting, upbeat show.
Morris will star as Mona, one of the murderesses in Cook County Jail, facing charges for killing her unfaithful boyfriend. Morris said she is excited to perform in College Station.
“I’ve never actually been to College Station, even though I was born and raised in Fort Worth,” Morris said. “I’m excited. It’ll be my first time in College Station and I’m looking forward to seeing campus and seeing all of the wonderful things there.”
In addition to visiting Aggieland for the first time, Morris said she looks forward to bringing this unique musical to the people at Texas A&M. From the dancers to the actors, being a part of a production that recognizes everyone’s hard work makes this experience rewarding, according to Morris.
“Everyone, including the ensemble, is recognized at the end of the show,” Morris said. “Everyone’s names are called out during curtain call and for someone like me who loves being a part of the ensemble it’s really nice to be in a show that recognizes the hard work of the men and women who work in the ensemble of the show.”
Madison Hughes, director of operations for MSC OPAS and education senior, said as the semester comes to an end, students should take the time to witness this Tony Award-winning ensemble.
“If students have the opportunity, they should take advantage of this,” Hughes said. “This is one of the hottest shows of our season. We are going out with a bang because this is the last main stage Broadway musicals that we will have for this season. It’s one of my personal favorites and it’s got great dancing, great choreography and I think that whoever sees it would totally love it.”
Madison Kearby, education senior, has seen the musical come to the life on the big screen and said she looks forward to seeing it live this week.
“Chicago is a crazy good show and the music is so in a way kind of empowering because its all these women talking about men that have done them wrong,” Kearby said. “Granted maybe don’t go and murder people, that’s maybe not the message you should get across, but I’ve just always been fascinated with Chicago as soon as I saw it for the first time I fell in love and had my mom get the DVD for me I played it over and over again.”
The play will show from April 17-19 at 7:30 p.m. in Rudder Auditorium.