Film screening to tackle gender, social issues

The Women’s and Gender Studies Program, partnering with the WGST Club and the film studies program, will present its biannual movie night Wednesday with the 2013 comedy “The To-Do List,” starring Aubrey Plaza.
“These movie nights have always been very popular,” said Dan Humphrey, assistant professor of film studies and women’s and gender studies programs. “It’s a way for students to get acquainted with the program.”
The movie is about a young woman just out of high school who is given an impression by her friends that she must have high sexual knowledge before she goes to college. It’s a coming-of-age story from a young woman’s perspective set in 1993.
A discussion will follow the screening that will address questions such as whether love and sex need to go hand in hand, said Emily Thompson, women’s and gender studies junior and president of the WGST Club.
“My primary goal is to allow students to have the opportunity to look at comedies in another light,” Thompson said. “It’s rewarding to let people know that they can discuss issues like this maturely.”
Humphrey said the film and discussion will touch on common issues that include the places of men and women in society.
“It asks questions about sexual double standards and things considered appropriate for men but not women,” Humphrey said.
The event is from 7-9:30 p.m. Wednesday and will take place in Harrington 209.