FLO to host leadership workshop focused on community service

Waves
Waves

Hosted by MSC Fish, WAVES is a leadership workshop that helps students become more competent and influential members of their community.
MSC Fish is a Freshman Leadership Organization focused on community service. They use WAVES to help students become leaders in organizations, school and the community through community service. The workshop will be held in the Student Recreation Center room 2229A on Feb. 22.
Lindsey Walker, animal science freshman and member of the marketing and management subcommittee of WAVES, said this year’s keynote speaker will be Jeremy Spicer, a music educator and owner of the student leadership consulting from SASI.
“Jeremy is super passionate about teaching and thinks it’s the best aspect of a leader. … He is going to come and teach his philosophy of how peers should teach other peers and to do so selflessly.”
The workshop is five hours long and Walker said MSC Fish members worked hard to make the entire event worthwhile.
“It’s a conference but not a lecture,” Walker said. “You are going to work with people through the activities and get up and be active. … ou get to learn how to be a better person. That’s what WAVES is about — one impact on a person right now can make WAVES of a difference later on.”
Connor Brooks, business administration freshman and member of WAVES’ day-of subcommittee, is in charge of communicating with organizations and opening up outlets to allow participants to serve. Brooks said WAVES not only sets an example of community service but gives members a range of options.
“People will see the opportunities that we do every week and will tell themselves ‘Hey we learned so much about servant leadership, let’s serve at these places,’” Brooks said.
According to Noah Knesek, general studies freshman and member of WAVES’ outreach subcommittee, the members of MSC Fish are passionate about this event regardless of their age or experience at A&M.
“Freshmen who are motivated about the message and want to be leaders of their community would be the right people to put this on,” Knesek said. “It matters more about the intent and enthusiasm behind it than the age.”