Four summer destinations for the Aggie on a budget

Photo by By Hayley Douglas

A graphic of Texas trip locations.

Summer often brings the desire to travel to far off places, but students taking summer classes or trying to manage a college budget might forgo a summer adventure all together. 

However, Texas offers many diverse destinations that aren’t a plane ride away and won’t leave your bank account dry. Here are a few locations across the state where students can find summer fun at the right price.

Tiger Creek Wildlife Refuge in Tyler, Texas

Tiger Creek Wildlife Refuge is a big cat animal preserve that includes anything from lions and tigers to smaller cats such as cougars and leopards.

Wildlife and fisheries science senior Micaela Hinojosa, who is interning at the wildlife refuge over the summer, said that besides being a fun place to visit, there are also an opportunity to learn something new.

“Visiting Tiger Creek during the summer allows you to take a fun trip with friends to see some cool cats, while also being able to see first hand what a refuge is all about,” Hinojosa said. “You will learn what all the cats went through to get to their forever home.”

Senior keeper Arielle Klein said visitors of the refuge are helping to support all of the animals.

“While you are enjoying a day out here at the refuge, you are actually supporting a good cause, because we are a nonprofit, and all admission costs are considered donations which allows us to take care of our cats,” Klein said.

Klein said that any and all funding is appreciated and goes directly to ensuring the health and care of the cats, which is a top priority. 

“We have a large senior and geriatric cat population, so medical expenses can be overwhelming at times. So every little bit counts,” Klein said. “You can leave here knowing you helped us ensure another day of medication and high quality food for our furry family members.”

For more information visit their website. 

Enchanted Rock in Fredericksburg, Texas

From hiking and camping to rock climbing and stargazing, the Enchanted Rock State Natural Area includes something for everyone looking for an outdoor adventure.

Enchanted Rock is a popular destination among families as well as college crowds. About a  three-hour drive from College Station, Enchanted Rock can be a daytrip or can become an overnight camping trip.

Public health sophomore Paige Clark said the area is beautiful and that she always experienced a worthwhile time while she was there.

“I like Enchanted Rock because it’s a fun place to go with friends and family and get a good workout. When you get to the top the view is amazing,” Clark said.

For more information on Enchanted Rock visit their website.

Wild Basin Wilderness Preserve in Austin, Texas  

Located just outside downtown Austin, visitors of Wild Basin have described it as a refreshing escape from the hub of the city. Wild Basin features landscape views, unique wildlife and hiking trails.

With 2.5 miles of scenic trails this 227 acre urban wilderness preserve is a great way for visitors to get in touch with nature.

The director of the Wilderness Basin Research Center, Barbara Dugelby, said that the history of Wild Basin has shaped the way it looks today.

“[Wild Basin] was a watershed that was not heavily logged, or in some areas, not logged at all when citizens were logging the area for firewood. So, it has many unique ecological features,” Dugelby said. 

Wild Basin is a habitat for the federally endangered golden-cheeked warbler. Waterfalls can also be seen throughout the multiple trails along with landscapes that visitors can walk through and view. 

For more information on Wild Basin Wilderness Preserve visit their website.

McNay Art Museum in San Antonio, Texas 

Located about 5 miles from downtown San Antonio, the McNay Art Museum is reminiscent of Spanish colonial architecture. It is Texas’ first modern art museum, boasting galleries of medieval and Renaissance artwork.

Public relations and marketing manager Daphne Lehman said The McNay Art Museum hosts many different events and most are catered toward college students.

“We have a world-class collection, thought-provoking programs, and really fun events for all ages,” Lehman said. “Every month we throw a big event called Second Thursday at the McNay. Outside on the beautiful museum grounds you’ll find live music, food trucks and beer for sale for 21+ attendees, and inside the Museum you’ll enjoy free general admission and gallery tours.”

Lehman also said that over the summer general admission for anyone 19 and younger was free and only $5 for college students 20+ with a student ID.  

More information can be found at the McNay Art Museum website.