Free Press Summer Fest rocks despite rain

Photo by By Chevall Pryce

Post Malone’s new album, “Beerbongs and Bentleys,” is expected to be released this year.

Despite the unfortunate June summer showers which ended the event early, Free Press Summer Fest (FPSF) offered a variety of musical acts that brought both sweet sounds and enjoyment to festival goers.
The festival was held on June 3 and 4 at Eleanor Tinsley Park in Houston, offering attendants four different stages with a variety of artists across the genre spectrum.
The headliners of the event included G-Eazy, Cage the Elephant, Lorde and Flume. Due to the festival’s cancellation, the latter two artists did not perform. Other artists who entertained included Jon Bellion, Post Malone, The Struts and Bad Suns.
Each performer played with intensity, showcasing their talents to the festival crowd.
Construction Science senior Roberto Rodriguez attended his first FPSP this year. He said what he liked most, besides the music, was the people. 
“The vibe. It’s a really nice vibe. Everyone is just here for the music and to have a good time and whatnot,” Rodreguez said. 
Over the course of the weekend, members of the Texas A&M student radio station, KANM, participated in making the event possible by working a concession stand.
Telecommunication media studies senior Roland Davilla, who has now attended three FPSFs and is KANM’s station manager said this being a hometown music festival is important to him. 
“This is my hometown, Houston,” Davilla said. “We do at least a bare minimum 6 hours, but its really free flow. You go see a show, then come back to the tent. It’s a really nice hangout spot too.”
Former students even had the opportunity to help with FPSF, Class of 2017 Melissa Wisian served the festival goers with KANM. 
“I like having a stage behind our booth, you know that’s nice,” Wisian said. “It’s a bit hard working the festival and expecting to see people, but you also don’t want to let down your group. I didn’t really get to see anyone [day one] but I am going to see some people [day two].”
The best performers of the festival were Post Malone and Cage the Elephant.
Grapevine-native Post Malone drew a huge crowd for his performance. During each song, Malone was almost drowned out by the voices of his fans singing along. By far, Malone’s celebratory piece, “Congratulations,” had the audience jumping. Despite the Texas night heat, people were still dancing to the hip-hop melodies.
With no surprise, Cage the Elephant brought a powerhouse performance to a crowd that might have been the largest of the festival. They played their large discography of hits, including “Ain’t No Rest For the Wicked,” “Come a Little Closer” and “Cigarette Daydream.”
Overall, festival goers enjoyed themselves, despite the rainfall. After the showers had stopped, people could be seen trudging through the mud on their way new performances to watch the artists they love.

• Cage the Elephant lead singer Matt Schultz engages with the audience.

Photo by By Chevall Price
  • Jon Bellion sings out to the audience, performing his combined genres of hip-hop and indie pop

• A group of festival goers dance to the unique sound of Texas-naitive Post Malone

• Members of Cage the Elephant rock out together on stage. The band was one of four headliners. 

• The audience waits for the appearance of popular alternative rock band Cage the Elephant