Fun, fresh finds

Photo by Courtesy of Hayden Carroll

The Brazos Valley Farmers Market in Bryan provides an opportunity for local vendors to sell home-grown and homemade products every week to members of the surrounding communities.

A calm, welcoming environment similar to the feeling of a grandma’s house greets visitors at the Brazos Valley Farmers Market. Jars stacked high with jam and pickled products or baked goods to satisfy your sweet tooth are all available for purchase at the market. Plants to spruce up your garden await in bundles.
“It’s more of an event,” Christopher Jagge, vice president of the Board of Members said.
College students seeking a contrast to large sporting events or nightlife at Hurricane Harry’s might enjoy the calmer, warm environment of walking through the farmers market on a Saturday morning with a chance to meet farmers, artisans and neighbors. When arriving in downtown Bryan, at 500 N. Main St., I noticed cars parked down 21st street. With a larger crowd, free parking is only a half-block of walking distance from the market.
Country music played in the background as I walked to the grounds of the farmer’s market. The weekend I went was a special occasion — with musicians performing live for the vendors and visitors. Unfortunately, the tunes aren’t available every Saturday, but if you’re lucky enough you can see the live musicians. The farmers market is pet friendly. Multiple vendors were selling healthy dog and cat treats for your furry friends. Around almost every corner a dog and its owner will greet you and there was even a cat from a neighborhood nearby browsing the market.
When visiting the Bundles of Blessing flower booth, the vendors were friendly and easy to talk to. Bright vibrant flower bouquets of yellows and pinks surround the area as you walk in. While there isn’t ever an overwhelming number of people, if you’re looking to attend with the smallest crowd, I encourage you come earlier in the morning and since the market is hosted outside, dress accordingly for the weather.
“One negative is the location,” Jagge said upon approaching his booth. The Brazos Valley Farmers Market is located in Downtown Bryan. Next to Main Street the market is a rather distant drive from some off-campus student housing located in south College Station. However, from A&M’s campus it is an eight-minute drive. Instead of a drive to Starbucks, you can pick up local coffee at Aggieland Coffee, LLC and enjoy while browsing the farmers market selection.
Most college students visiting the farmers market are not looking to grocery shop, Jagge said. Like the ones I purchased, flowers are more popular among the college crowd. The bundle of flowers was I picked was $10 and while products here are a higher in price than H-E-B, it’s worth the extra money. The quality of this bouquet has exceeded over a week in comparison to a few days.
For consumers looking to purchase lettuce or onions, they should pay attention to what is in season at the time of their visit. For example, lettuce is in season now during the spring. When walking the aisles, broccoli and mustard greens were in short supply, but onions were in abundance at vendors booths. If apples are what you want to purchase, they are available all seasons, however, tomatoes are only available to purchase during the summer, according to the USDA website.
Vendors for the farmers market are expected to follow specific guidelines to sell their goods and the products sold are not allowed to be resold; they must be handmade, Jagge said.
“All products sold at the market are subject to local and state licensing regulations,” according to rules and regulations located on the Brazos Valley Farmers Market website.
For more information visit www.brazosvalleyfarmersmarket.com or their Instagram @brazosvalleyfarmersmarket.
MORE PLACES TO GO:
There are also other farmers markets in the area if this one is not your style or you’re not available on Saturdays.

• The South Brazos County Farmers’ Market is available every Tuesday and Friday in the afternoon 12:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.. This market is located on the other end of University Drive where it meets Glenhaven Drive.
  • Farm Fridays go from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and are located north of campus in Bryan. The address for Farm Fridays is 2861 Tabor Rd. in Bryan.

WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
The Brazos Valley Farmers Market is open every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., unless stated otherwise on social media or their website.
Products being sold locally can mean anywhere from Brazos, Burleson, Grimes,
Leon, Madison, Milam, Robertson and Washington counties. Anyone from any of
these counties can purchase membership at this market, according to The Brazos Valley Farmers Market website.
Farmers markets have gained popularity over the years and possess 8% of food sales locally, according to ers.usda.gov.
Most vendors accept cards, but it wouldn’t hurt to have some cash on hand because there are a few who only accept cash.
To know what products are in season at the time, visit, snaped.fns.usda.gov/seasonal-produce-guide.