Furry friends take the stage

This Saturday, Rudder Theatre will be taken over by performers of a furrier nature.
The Popovich Comedy Pet Theatre, a troupe composed of performing cats, dogs, feathered friends and the world-renowned Russian entertainer, Gregory Popovich, is coming to A&M campus for a day of laughs, fun and house-trained amusement.
Popovich, named the 2009 Entertainer of the Year by Circus Fans Association of America, leads this unlikely group of performers in a mix of European-style entertainment, juggling, balancing acts and amusing wiles. The animal stars are all rescues, having been trained to achieve tricks that have stunned audiences around the globe.
OPAS is featuring the performance this weekend in a series of three consecutive showings.
Stephen Dawkins, senior computer science major and chair for the student committee for OPAS, said the show will make audiences laugh, and should be great for all ages to attend.
Gregory Popovich brings his dozens of animals to perform certain tricks and adds a little bit of a comedic flair to it, Dawkins said. Its something that should be fun for the entire family.
The troupe has been featured on shows such as Late Show with David Letterman, Americas Got Talent and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and held a long-standing residency in Las Vegas prior to their current tour, a trip that has taken them to more than 20 countries.
Eric Bruton, senior microbiology major, said the show is one-of-a-kind and should bring something different to campus.
Its a unique type of entertainment that you dont get to really see, Bruton said. Its definitely unique because [audiences will] get to interact with live animals.
The shows alternative cast consists of 15 house cats, 10 dogs, four geese, eight white doves and two parrots.
Craig Boleman, the Public Relations Representative for MSC OPAS, said the show is an affordable way to enjoy some impressive, live entertainment. He said that he expects a good turn-out from students and community members.
Popovich Comedy Pet Theater will show at Rudder Theatre Saturday, Feb. 2. The show will be featured at 1 p.m., 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tickets can be purchased online, by phone or in person through the MSC Box Office.