Habitat for Humanity campus chapter hosts annual pumpkin patch fundraiser

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
Habitats for Humanities

Bryan-College Station residents are picking pumpkins and giving back to the community at the Habitat for Humanity pumpkin patch.
Located on the Covenant Presbyterian Church’s grounds at 220 Rock Prairie Rd., the annual fall pumpkin patch is a philanthropy project hosted by the Texas A&M Habitat for Humanity Campus Chapter. The patch opened Sept. 29 and will continue selling pumpkins through Oct. 31. This event helps raise money for the homes that are built by Habitat for Humanity.
The patch sells more than 4,000 pumpkins each year, raising over $30,000, according to co-director of special events and urban and regional planning junior Regina Alvarez.
Habitat for Humanity invites student organizations to help unload the delivery truck. Anthropology sophomore Paula Moreno, a volunteer with Aggie Emeralds, said she was looking forward to taking a pumpkin home after the day’s work was finished.
“I am going to take a pumpkin home, carve it and bake the pumpkin seeds,” Moreno said.
Environmental geoscience sophomore Alex Ohrmundt, co-director of special events, said his favorite aspect of the patch is watching community members enjoy it.
“It’s nice to be outside because the weather is so nice and you get to meet all types of people,” Ohrmundt said. “I love it — just to see all the work that we’ve put into beforehand and see it pay off out here.”
For more information about the Habitat for Humanity Pumpkin Patch visit tx.ag/pumpkinvolunteer.