Health Services push nutritious campus diet

Its a daily struggle for some college students: after working on homework assignments, studying for tests and balancing extra curricular activities, finding time for creating and maintaining a balanced diet seems to get pushed aside.
March is National Nutrition Month, which was started to raise awareness of healthy eating habits, exercise and overall well-being. The goal is to emphasize creating good habits to ensure a better future, a lesson that Student Health Services dietician Megan Windham said is crucial to students and young adults. Windham said eating healthy on campus will be a major component of National Nutrition Month and will serve as this weeks theme in a major campaign to help students develop healthy eating habits.
Windham, Class of 2008, gave some basic tips on how to eat healthy as an on-campus resident. She said she sees students of all shapes and sizes with various degrees of eating disorders, nutritional needs and health issues. Windham said making feasible goals is the key to improving health at any stage of life.
You have to start small, like maybe youre not ready to give up Cokes, but you can start eating regular meals, Windham said. The small steps make a lifestyle change.
Ally Coe, senior allied health major, said she tries to watch what she eats and is conscious of her caloric intake.
I dont specifically count exactly how many calories I eat each day, but I try to be aware what I am eating and I try to eat a balanced diet, Coe said. I eat my fruits and veggies and limit red meats.
Coe said National Nutrition Month came just in time, and she believes it will provide as a nice reminder for students to eat healthy.
I hope that it increases knowledge of nutrition, especially since it is no longer January and people are forgetting their New Years resolutions, Coe said.Laine Melikian, sophomore recreation, parks and tourism science major, is only one of many students who have found it hard to eat healthy with the on-campus dining choices.
When I eat on campus, I pretty much just eat chicken fingers, french fries and gravy, he said.
Melikian said he tries to work out as often as possible, but acknowledged that in the future he will have to think about his food intake more than he does now.
I am sure once my body gives out when I am older, I wont be able to eat what I want, Melikian said.
Windham said the freshman 15 does not have to become a reality, with numerous resources available to students through Student Health Services to improve health and education on good dieting.
Living on campus does not have to be hard, Windham said. It doesnt mean you have to gain weight or completely change your entire lifestyle.
Windham compared food to medicine, saying that both can help a person or be abused.
The best thing to do is add more fruits and vegetables to your diet, Windham said. You also dont have to eat every meal with your meal plan. Incorporate other foods from the grocery store.
National Nutrition Month will include numerous events, showing students different ways to master on-campus eating and develop a healthier lifestyle. This week features events such as Dine with a Dietician and dorm room cooking demonstrations.