High fashion travels to B-CS

Photo by PROVIDED

The first Brazos Valley Fashion Week will take place this weekend in College Station. The proceeds
will fund playground equipment for special needs children.

Combining the excitement of the runway with advocacy, a former student is bringing the first Brazos Valley Fashion Week to the Bryan-College Station area. 

Judy LeUnes, Class of 1976, and Christopher Stribling came up with the idea of the BVFW one year ago after Stribling had returned from New York City. Stribling, a local hairstylist, participated in New York Fashion Week last year and wanted to bring the spirit of the week to College Station. 

“I was backstage at NYFW, and I was dreading coming back to Texas because I was having such a great week,” Stribling said. “I had a vision that I wanted to create this event, bring this big city to this amazing town.”

After Stribling came up with the idea, he teamed up with LeUnes.

“After being back, Judy was getting her hair done, and I said, ‘Judy I want to do this charity event and knock it out,’” Stribling said. 

Proceeds from the event will raise money for the Fun For All Playground in Stephen C. Central Park in College Station, a $4 million playground designed to be accessible for disabled children. LeUnes said the Rotary Club of College Station proposed the idea of the park in 2013 and was able to raise half of the $4 million with the help of the Lion’s Club and the Kiwanis of College Station. LeUnes said A&M students helped design the park, and all that’s left to do is raise the remaining funds. 

In addition to local boutiques, those featured at BVFW include Project Runway designers Daniel Esquivel, Samantha Plasencia, Korto Momolu and Katelyn Pankok.  There will be a total of 60 models, including children who have special needs. 

Serving as a model, Stephanie Leatherwood has been extensively coordinating with local businesses leading up to the event.

“I am most excited about seeing the special needs kids modeling each night,” Leatherwood said. “We have three businesses in town that are making outfits especially for them.”

Charli Light, designer for BVFW and business owner of local boutique Charli’s, has participated in other fashion shows in the Bryan-College Station area and said she is excited about the diverse participation of designers. 

“We all do something different” Light said. “We should all have a different idea of what we want to present. You get to see that in addition to the designers from Project Runway, and it’s fascinating to see how talented they are.”

Leatherwood said audiences can expect a high-paced, high-fashion, amazing show.

“Just like NYFW, the audio and video effects and lighting is unlike anything done in town,” Leatherwood said.

The BVFW will take place in the College Station Central Park March 3 to March 5 with doors opening at 6 p.m. Tickets for Thursday and Friday are sold out, but Saturday, VIP night, is still available for $125.