Hillel students bake challah to fight hunger

The chapter of Challah for Hunger at Texas A&M Hillel is busy baking and selling challah, the sweet, egg-rich bread traditionally prepared to commemorate the Jewish Sabbath, to raise funds for local charities addressing social justice issues.
The student board at Texas A&M’s Hillel launched the chapter in October, said Hannah Humbert, biomedical engineering junior and founder and chair of the Challah for Hunger committee.
“We’ve been preparing since August, but our chapter is still in its infant stages,” Humbert said.
The profits raised in the months of October and November will benefit the Brazos Valley Food Bank, Humbert said.
“Last month, we raised just under $200,” Humbert said. “In the future, like our monthly flavors, we will be picking a different local charity every month as requested by the student body.”
Celeste Swanson, Blinn Team freshman and associate chair for Challah for Hunger, said she loves baking and said the organization supports a good cause.
“It is an amazing idea because challah is a traditional Jewish bread that we eat on Shabbat and another tradition in the Jewish faith is Tzedakah, which is charity,” Swanson said. “I think it is great we can combine these two elements of our religion to help the needy.”
Brazos Valley Food Bank uses donations from Challah for Hunger to fund and support their local programs, Humbert said.
“Such as the Mobile Food Pantry, backpacks, senior bags and family boxes, all of which nutritionally balanced meals are prepared and/or served to low income or in crisis individuals, families and children,” Humbert said.
The national organization Challah for Hunger’s focus is to raise awareness and donations for social justices, like hunger and poverty, Humbert said.
“[The national organization] asks official chapters to donate 50 percent of their profits to their national cause, MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger,” Humbert said.
The Texas A&M chapter is not an official chapter yet, but all proceeds go to local charities, Humbert said.
“Our chapter here at Texas A&M is starting off small with only monthly bakes featuring a monthly flavor,” Humbert said.
Challah for Hunger’s next bake sale is from 7-8 p.m. Sunday at Hillel for pre-orders and 12-2 p.m. Monday in the MSC.
“We hope after our debut at the MSC this month, our popularity will support us through the official chapter initiating process, which will begin next semester. Baby steps,” Humbert said.
Anyone is welcome to help prepare and bake the challah, Humbert said. The next bake is from 1-5 p.m. Sunday at Hillel.
“As of now, students love coming together to bake a Jewish staple,” Humbert said. “We bake in Hillel’s kitchen and welcome anyone — Jewish or not — to help prepare and bake the challah dough.”
About eight people helped bake for the October sale, Humbert said.
“I, myself, am very passionate and meticulous with the challah recipe and enjoy teaching others how to mix, braid and bake,” Humbert said.
Traditional challah and cranberry will be sold this month for Thanksgiving, Swanson said.
“Challah is usually a braided loaf that gets a thin layer of tough bread on the outside and the inside is fluffy and yummy,” Swanson said.
The Jewish community is relatively small in College Station, Humbert said.
“There are few places challah lovers can find challah, so naturally I believe challah is in hot demand,” Humbert said.
Daniel Rosenfield, communication sophomore and president of Texas A&M Hillel, said service projects like Challah for Hunger gives students the opportunity to do good.
“I would like for the students in Challah for Hunger to have a fun and meaningful experience as they practice ‘tikkun olam,’ a Hebrew phrase meaning ‘repairing the world,’” Rosenfield said.
Members of Challah for Hunger prepare the braided bread for October sales.
Courtesy