Local bar merges German cuisine, Irish flavor

Photo by Photo by Grant Phifer

Murphy’s Law, a restaurant/bar that combines German and Irish culture, opened in Downtown Bryan in 2009.

People who visit the local restaurant and bar called Murphy’s Law won’t just be able to dine on authentic German cuisine, but they may also be treated to the life story of the restaurant’s owner, Ludwig Kasper and how he went from Germany, to Ireland, to opening a restaurant in Bryan-College Station.
Kasper lived in Munich, Germany as a child and moved to Ireland as a teenage boy when he wanted to learn English, said Brauhaus manager and head chef Kevin Wright. While there, Wright said he grew to love Irish culture.
After graduating from college in the United States, Kasper started an accounting firm. In 2004 Kasper began investing in the building that now houses Murphy’s Law in downtown Bryan. Due to economic downturn, the firm shut down in 2007 and Kasper moved to Germany where he took over a string of unsuccessful bars called Murphy’s Law, turning them into Irish pubs. In 2008, Kasper opened a Murphy’s Law location in Downtown Bryan.
Murphy’s Law combines two different cultures’ cuisines and beverages — an Irish pub and Bavarian Brauhaus, or authentic German restaurant. The bar and restaurant combination is seemingly separated at the front by two separate doors, however is connected inside.
 “[Kasper] had previous experience running German cuisines so it was sort of a perfect fit to put Brauhaus on the other side,” said Jai Girard, bar manager. “We all think he just wanted somewhere to eat while he was here.”
Murphy’s Law contains unique aspects of each culture through varying means.
“Brauhaus waitresses wear lederhosen that sometimes contain images of the German flag, as well as phrases written in sort of a ‘German Spanglish,’” Wright said.
Many of the lederhosen have the phrase “Prost y’all” written on them, which roughly translates to “Cheers y’all.”
 “[The Murphy’s Law staff] wear your typical St.-Patrick’s-Day-green shirts as well as Irish rugby jerseys from time to time,” Girard said.
Students who frequent the restaurant and bar enjoy it for its unique cuisine and atmosphere.
“Murphy’s Law is the only place that does a correct 90-second draw for Guinness and that is my favorite beer by far,” said communication senior Ben Blakely. “When I went to Brauhaus I found out that German dishes are a lot more stew oriented which I didn’t know. I always thought of German food as more bratwurst and sauerkraut, but there were a lot more slow-cooked dishes and they were delicious.”   
The decor of the bar also lends towards its Irish roots, Wright said.
“[The bar top] was assembled in Ireland by a famous Irish company called Team Woodcraft out of African mahogany wood, disassembled, and brought to Bryan to be placed in the bar,” Wright said.
Wright also pointed out a distinct painting style that covers the walls of the bar.
“Mr. Ludwig hired a man by the name of Harry Cleary, who has painted movie posters for some American classics, to paint the walls in the same style as older movie posters to really give the building some character,” Wright said.
Wright said Kasper chose a small Texan city for his bar purely out of curiosity.
“Honestly, Ludwig just wanted to see if it would work,”  Girard said.