Local food truck fired up about crepes

Photo by Photo by Madeline Ramos

Fire Truck Crepes moved from Denver to College Station in 2017, bringing their sweet and savory crepe business to Texas A&M.

Fire Truck Crepes is making a name for themselves by serving up pastries to park goers in College Station.
Located in Wayside Park and owned by Bob and Michelle Loop, Fire Truck Crepes serves sweet and savory crepes out of a 1989 Darley Spartan Fire Engine. Fire Truck Crepes is open Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. for lunch and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. for dinner. On Fridays and Saturdays, they stay open until 10 p.m.
Bob and Michelle worked as paramedics and firefighters in Denver before making a career change into the food industry. First operated out of Denver, Fire Truck Crepes moved their business to College Station in 2017.
“We settled on crepes because it’s kind of the perfect food,” Michelle said. “You can put just about anything in it, sweet or savory. The firetruck just felt like a natural fit because we both have been in this industry for 20 plus years. His dad was a firefighter, my uncle was a firefighter. It’s just kind of a family thing.”
Before opening Fire Truck Crepes, Bob decided to go to culinary school and specialized in baking and pastries. Michelle said they created their menu through hiring a consultant, as well as trying crepes in locations such as Las Vegas.
“We tried to make it original, but obviously Nutella is a staple with anybody that likes crepes,” Michelle said. “Some of the menu certainly is not original, but a lot of it is stuff we created.”
While Bob and Michelle moved to College Station in early 2017, Wayside Park did not open until December of 2017, so they spent the first few months serving crepes at local events, such as First Friday in Downtown Bryan.
“One of the biggest differences that we could see within the infrastructure is that people are not used to food trucks here,” Bob said. “There was a big food truck movement in Denver in 2014 that kind of gave us the idea to go forward knowing there was a market already. I had an idea that it would be a little more challenging here.”
Bob said one of the first things he noticed after moving to Texas was a higher level of patience among the customers.
“We don’t make fast food,” Bob said. “We make gourmet food on our own truck so it takes five to 10 minutes. Even here, when we’re busy at lunch, people really aren’t that pushy. I have yet to have a reaction from anyone here in College Station.”
Kellen Price, Fire Truck Crepes customer, said her favorite crepe from Fire Truck Crepes is the lemon berry crumble. Price said she enjoys walking to the food park from her Northgate apartment with her dog.
“I’ve been a fan of Fire Truck Crepes since February,” Price said. “I go every Thursday when I get done with work. It’s the perfect start to my weekend.”
In addition to their business at the food park, Michelle and Bob bring the fire truck to different private events in the Bryan-College Station community. These events range from Texas A&M baseball games, sorority mother-daughter days and children’s birthday parties.
“We have four kids, so we know how it is,” Bob said. “We call [the parents] when we’re about five minutes away and then we turn down their block with the lights and siren going. The kids love it.”
According to Bob, the majority of food trucks in Denver are actually trucks, whereas College Station food trucks are mostly trailers. Bob said Fire Truck Crepe’s individuality comes from more than just their choice of vehicle.
“The physical appearance is different, but really, tell me where I can get crepes in College Station,” Bob said. “That’s what makes us unique here.”