Modest House Sessions

“As far as music is concerned, inspiration comes in the weirdest ways. You kind of playback who your favorite artists are and go back and listen to them. When you’re making music, you want to stand apart but can’t help but put yourself into that sound. You want to sound like those who inspire you. I think just outside of our general everyday happening the people who come before us are our biggest influences for sure. Avett Brothers are our biggest inspiration. Yep, they’ve done a lot for us. It comes directly from the fact that it’s just the two of us, an acoustic guitar and a banjo.”

• “A big thing for me was to just try to listen to everything that I could in the Motown genre. But seriously listening to it and being into it — it was something I was fortunate to actually like in music. Just listening to stuff like jazz and soul and blues — I just kept listening to that stuff. Especially being from the Valley, there was definitely a huge Hispanic influence and culture but it was also very diverse and other people listen to all types of stuff. So I just have all this music melting pot I guess. 

• “My music is pretty much my soul. I have to be authentic with my art or I really can’t write anything. My music to me is extremely personal in that it’s snapshots of my soul in various stages of my life. The main thing that inspires me to write is probably how God has impacted my heart and how Christ has impacted my life. Those are probably the main things that cause me to write.”

Photo by Cody Franklin
  • “I think we have a great band — the songs are compelling, and they’re catchy. Performing is just the one thing I’m decent at and I’ve been doing it for a while, but you just do it because it gives you joy in your heart. People hear it and it makes people happy, or it doesn’t, but that’s the whole point I guess — to make people smile.”