Morrissey proves at 56, there is a light that never goes out

Photo by By Emmy Bost

Morrissey was the lead singer of the alternative rock band “The Smiths.”

Steven Patrick Morrissey, more widely known in the music industry by his last name, Morrissey, performed a medley of musical hits, charged with political statements, on Friday night in Houston.

The 56-year old from Manchester, England, was the former frontman for The Smiths, the renowned English rock band from the 1980s. After a pre-show video compilation of old music and media footage, Morrissey alluded to his time in The Smiths by opening the show with “How Soon is Now?” and scattering two other hits by The Smiths among the setlist jam-packed with his own songs.
“He was incredible. He was not only entertaining; he was also educating [the audience] on things like love and equality. He is a true artist,” said Sherif El Moghazi, a Houston resident and former Aggie.

The concert was charged with political mentions and statements, mostly regarding current politics in the United States. His five band members wore matching shirts that denounced President Trump and visual mentions of police brutality were displayed during his song “Ganglord.”

Lyrics from “Ganglord” include, “Ganglord, the police are kicking their way into my house and haunting me; taunting me! Wanting me to break their laws…Ganglord, the police are grinding me into the ground.”

Evon Parker, a Houston resident, said that Morrissey delivered a full, amazing concert, but the negative Trump references may have been “touchy” for some, as Texas is a predominantly Republican state.

“I am from Texas so that was kindof harsh, but when it comes to music, you gotta let bygones be bygones,” Parker said.

However, others believed that Morrissey’s political sentiments matched those of the crowd. Justin Smith, a Houston resident, said that Morrissey delivered a great show and wasn’t afraid of shading down from his bold political statements.

“Tonight he brought it…He hit the emotions we were looking for. He hit the emotion the crowd was experiencing,” said Toby Hamilton, a Houston resident.
Rainy weather prompted the concert venue to change from the outdoor stage of White Oak Music Hall in downtown Houston to the indoor venue, the Smart Financial Centre in Sugar Land. After eighteen songs, Morrissey concluded the night with “Judy Is A Punk,” a cover by The Ramones, an American punk band that formed in 1974.