Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

New year inspires students to make changes

Once again, a new year is dawning, and all of last years cherished moments have turned into nothing more than memories, stories and pictures.
With the onset of the new semester comes the task of setting a New Year’s resolution. This decree for change can come in many forms, whether it be a personal goal, a project or the reformation of a habit.
After a leisurely-spent holiday feasting on turkey, stuffing and other holiday treats, many students are choosing to incorporate weekly fitness into their schedules as routines become cemented once again.
Lauren Drey, a junior education major, said that she is going to strive for healthiness this year and force herself to accomplish her New Years goal.
I am going to run a half marathon, Drey said. This time, I will follow a schedule I found online and go ahead and sign up. That way I have no choice.
With the new year also comes a new school semester and new academic goals. Whether its raising a GPA, receiving that Aggie Ring or obtaining the perfect internship, many students have decided to focus their attention away from recreational activities and obtain a more diligent approach toward their grades.
Junior manufacturing and mechanical engineering technology major, Derek Bahner said he is going to take a more studious approach this year by applying more effort to his studies.
It may sound nerdy, Bahner said. But I need to stay focused on school more and not be as lazy. I need to put more effort and time into my homework.,
Other students have decided to head towards the nearest grocery store and create their very own culinary concoctions.
Amanda Surman, a senior civil engineering major, said that she would like to learn culinary skills in order to have more time with her roommates and eat healthier.
I would like to learn how to cook this year, Surman said. I wouldnt mind cooking up a nice, big grilled salmon with my roommates. I dont really like the cooking part, I just want to eat it!
This year also provides a chance to start fresh and be more caring towards others. Throughout their busy day-to-day routines many tend to forget to take even a small moment to remember those that surround them.
Mason Bond, junior environmental studies major, said that he plans on showing kindness by helping others in his everyday activities.
I plan on performing random acts of kindness each day, said Bond. These can be anywhere from sparing a stranger some change to anonymously purchasing their coffee.
Many students do not have a particular goal chosen, but have decided to acknowledge all of lifes simplicities by spending extra time with loved ones and embracing whats to come.
Sophomore industrial engineering major Mauricio Castrejn Csitkovits said his goal is to learn from each new day that passes.
I want to savor the sweets and learn from the sours, Csitkovits said.
Whichever area of improvement chosen, Aggies all over campus have decided to make 2013 a year for change. After all, the New Year is a time for second chances.