No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Not in Aggieland anymore

Photo by Courtesy
Wizard of Oz

While there is no place like home, The Wizard of Oz national tour settles down in Aggieland for two nights bringing the magic and fun of the classic tale to life.
Adapted from the 1939 MGM film, The Wizard of Oz Broadway show touched down at Rudder Auditorium this Tuesday, Feb. 20, for its first performance at Texas A&M. The Wizard of Oz Tour brought the classic story of Dorothy, a country girl played by lead actress Kalie Kiamann, that finds she’s ‘not in Kansas anymore’ and goes on an adventure to meet the Wizard of Oz in order to get home. The show will retake the stage Wednesday, Feb. 21 at 7:30 p.m. for its final performance.
Focusing his attention on how children see this play, Dean Sobon, the play’s director, said he wanted this show to cater to audience members still young at heart. With this in mind, Sobon utilized special effects, lights and lively dance numbers to make the show a spectacle for young kids.
“This is the Wizard of Oz, so I treated it how a child would perceive this show with the same awe and wonder,” Sobon said. “Anyone who loves the movie will love this show as well.”
Sobon is also known for directing numerous national tours, such as the classic movie musicals Fiddler on the Roof, which depicts the story of a father’s attempt to maintain his Jewish culture, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, a witty musical about a farmer who marries a woman to keep himself away from seven unruly brothers.
“For someone who is seeing this show for the first time, there are so many colors and special effects,” Sobon said. “In a live show there are even more dramatic effects that make the show incredible.”
Management junior Brooke Bolton and her sister, College Station resident Hannah Bolton, said they have attended several OPAS performances this year to support the arts at A&M.
“We’ve been to several of these performances and they never fail to impress,” Brooke Bolton said. “The lollipop guild was one part of the show that I remember from watching the show as a kid and getting to see that come alive again was great.”
Murphy, a scruffy white Terrier mix, filled the role as Dorothy’s dog, Toto. Murphy received the longest standing ovation at the conclusion of the night.
“Toto was by far my favorite character, he was always well-behaved and so cute,” Hannah Bolton said. “There were several jokes throughout the show that really gave it an upbeat, fun feel.”
The Wizard of Oz national tour began rehearsals in October and this show marks the cast’s fourth performance.
“The love of [the show] and the love of the art makes these actors stand out,” Sobon said. “Everyone knows it, they love the show and they like working with each other.”

• Wizard of Oz

Photo by Courtesy
  • Wizard of Oz

Photo by Courtesy
  • Wizard of Oz

Photo by Courtesy of Joan Marcus