Out of State students provide Insight on Texas A&M

Photo by Photo by Annie Lui
Out of State Students

With about 70,000 students enrolled at Texas A&M University, students come from all over the nation to join the Aggie Family.
The College Station campus has a total of 3,510 out of state students, according to the Texas A&M University Enrollment Profile for the Fall of 2017. From California to North Carolina, Texas A&M attracts students from all 50 states, as reported by the Texas A&M accountability office. 
Representing one of the 50 states, communication sophomore Shelby Campbell is from California. She said having different students from other states can be a positive direction for A&M to have diversity at the university.
“When I made my decision to come to A&M, people always said, ‘Why’ and I would say just the southern hospitality and the traditions and no one ever believed me,” Campbell said. “The southern hospitality is very much a real thing here at A&M, and I think a lot of people could agree once they experience life anywhere in Texas.”
While Campbell said she feels out of state life at A&M is very small compared to the amount of out of state students other universities receive, she enjoys attending school in the Lone Star State.
Biomedical science sophomore Lillie Kirbo found the out-of-state transition to be difficult.
“I love Texas,” Kibro said. “I can see myself staying here for a long time. It was really hard at first moving so far away from all my family and life long friends.”
Kirbo, a Florida native, came to A&M on an athletic scholarship for the equestrian team. After visiting the campus and the equestrian team her senior year of high school, Kirbo said she fell in love with the Texas atmosphere and the university.
“It took a lot of growing up to be comfortable moving somewhere across the country and not knowing anybody,” Kirbo said. “Everyone I have met has been so nice and inviting.”
Kirbo said something in-state students may not consider to be a difficult task is traveling for breaks. Being an out of state student includes more time and money planning for traveling home during student breaks.
Although she can’t make it home for every break, Campbell said she has had the opportunity to make close friends who live in state and have welcomed her into their homes.
“I always fly back to Florida, except the summer before my freshman year because I needed my car,” Kirbo said. “I had a U-Haul with all my things and my family came with me. The drive is too long to do alone which is why I always fly back home now when I get the chance to do so.”
Kirbo said she tries to go home every student break or holiday break, but can’t do so very often.
“My family misses me a lot and I miss them tons some nights,” Kirbo said. “I wish I could just drive home and eat a yummy dinner and hangout with my family, but that’s pretty impossible. I used to get really homesick but it has gotten better. I talk to my family almost every day.”
Going home can be a hassle for Kirbo and Campbell, but they both agree that Texas A&M is unlike any other universities in their home states.
“I would say A&M is very different from California colleges, nowhere compares to A&M, it is very rare to find a college with as much school spirit and tradition as A&M,” Campbell said.