Outdoor yoga classes provide peaceful atmosphere for B-CS to de-stress

Photo by PROVIDED

Sol Yoga offers outdoor yoga classes, including sunrise and sunset sessions at Lake Walk Town Center, to participants of all skill levels.

Yoga experts and novices alike are finding their center in the great outdoors of the Brazos Valley.
Sol Yoga provides a variety of classes in the Bryan-College Station area taught by instructor Susannah McNutt.
McNutt teaches outdoor classes each week at the Lake Walk Town Center in Bryan and a class for athletes at Crossfit Aggieland in College Station. The Saturday morning Lake Walk class is free and designed to be inclusive to all ages and skill levels. Set to continue year-round, unless weather interferes, the classes focus on switching between various poses with regulated breathing.
McNutt said she chose the name Sol because it means “sun” and because it sounds similar to “soul,” which she believes to be the essence of yoga.
“Everyone needs to have or create space to breathe intentionally, to be mindful in their movements and in their lives,” McNutt said. “This is the practice of yoga. It refreshes body and mind and rejuvenates the spirit.”
McNutt’s passion for yoga began 13 years ago, and she has spent the last 12 as an instructor. She teaches classes to deliver the experience, passion and benefits she has received from yoga to others. McNutt said she believes there is something special about being outdoors for classes, and it provides something unique to the practice of yoga.
Attending a Sol Yoga class outdoors gives participants the opportunity to decompress and improve themselves in a unique environment, McNutt said. Some Aggies make it their mission to attend the 8 a.m. classes every Saturday.
Management information systems junior Megan Lott is a newcomer to Sol Yoga. Lott said the classes have a positive impact on her weekend.
“It gets me going on my Saturday,” Lott said. “It makes my day feel so much better. I love the sound of the lake and the feel of the wind.”
Michelle Guinn, Class of 2018, said she enjoys the outdoor atmosphere and started attending McNutt’s classes a couple of years before the name Sol Yoga was adopted. Guinn takes part in the Lake Walk classes every Saturday when she isn’t traveling.
“I never want to get out of bed on a Saturday, but I never regret coming,” Guinn said. “I’m always really glad that I come.”