Performers to focus on B-love, history

Digging deep to discover the roots of African history and searching through the high-reaching branches of modern African-American culture, B-love, an event organized by MSC Woodson Black Awareness Committee, will include poetry, dance, song and history on Thursday in honor of Black History month.
Diamilatou Sow, WBAC social programming executive and senior international studies major, said B-love will focus on the celebration of two cultures that have influenced one another – African-American and African – in a way that is “carefree, light and positive.”
Ralph Bradley, WBAC social committee member and freshman international studies major, said the name “black love” was inspired both by Valentine’s Day and Black History Month.
WBAC partnered with organizations such as MSC Town Hall and Mic Check to bring in different forms of artistic expression.
Bradley said his committee wants to engage the audience by having the night unfold as a historical timeline.
The night will begin with a traditional African-inspired dance by the African Student Association, followed by a reflection on the enslavement of Africans and a representation of modern African-American culture. The performers, all A&M students, will present the history and culture through song, theatrical representation and poetry.
Bradley said the night will end with a performance by student dance organization Fade to Black to show the diversity of black culture and black history .
“I mean everyone, regardless of race and culture and where you’re from, has been affected by black history or the improvements and advancements that blacks have made,” Bradley said.
B-love will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday in Studio 12, beneath the Commons.