Phi Lamb to host block party

Bringing the warm atmosphere of a coffee shop to Rudder Plaza, Sigma Phi Lambda is hosting a “block party” Friday.
Previously known as “Open Party,” the event will provide free food and coffee and an inclusive environment.
Shiloe du Vall, vice president of Phi Lamb and marketing senior, said she envisioned the party as a re-creation of an off-campus coffee shop.
“Everything is free and live music is playing constantly,” du Vall said. “We have talented performers coming in and playing acoustic sets throughout this event, along with Mugwalls coffee and food available throughout the night.”
Katie Kelton, favor committee head for Phi Lamb, said the organization drew inspiration from venues around town.
“Okay, so when you think coffee shop, what comes to mind? Starbucks? Or maybe a local shop, like Mugwalls or Sweet Eugene’s? People are chilling in comfy chairs, maybe talking, maybe listening to music, drinking coffee, and it’s just a warm atmosphere,” Kelton said. “We want to re-create that.”
Kayla Villarreal, a committee head for Phi Lamb and visualization sophomore, said Block Party is a part of Phi Lamb’s outreach to campus.
“Our heart behind it is that what we do as an organization and our love for Jesus wouldn’t end at just us,” Villarreal said. “But that if anyone is seeking purpose in life or just in need of some love, they could find it here.”
Villarreal said the sorority wants to enact its faith by being welcoming.
“If you don’t know how you feel about religion, you are welcome,” Villarreal said. “If you abhor Jesus and what he stands for, you are welcome. If you believe something else entirely, you are welcome. Just don’t spend another Friday night alone. Come to Block Party because you are more than welcome here, as you are.”
du Vall said she hopes the event will spark authentic conversation.
“I love that everyone will feel like they have a place to go on a Friday night with a bunch of strangers that love them already,” du Vall said.
Block Party will be from 6:30-10:30 p.m. Friday in Rudder Plaza.