Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Professors, students talk art over brown bag lunch

Every third Thursday of the month, excluding December, the MSC Forsyth Gallery will be hosting Brown Bag lunches. Students are invited to stop by the gallery from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., bring their lunch, and sit at the round tables for an art lecture and discussion.
The main purpose of the Brown Bag Lunch is to get a conversation started about art. Art inspires, enhances creativity, and expands the mind, said Communication Specialist of the University Art Department Lynn McDaniel. We want students to stop their daily routine and see something different than what they usually see,
This Thursday, Oct. 18 , Stephen Caffey, art historian and assistant professor of architecture, will head an updated presentation called, Winslow Homers Winding The Clock and Female Sexuality: A Study and Discussion of Homer’s 1881 Watercolor.
At this discussion, Caffey will explain the interpretation of Winslow Homers watercolor and reveal new information about the painting.
I have uncovered some really extraordinary information about the painting that has radically altered my understanding of this individual painting and Homers entire body of work, Caffey said.
Winslow Homer was an American realist artist, in the late 19th century. Caffey said Homers painting, Winding The Clock, is unlike any other work of art.
There were a number of watercolor paintings, Caffey said. But we do not have any other examples of single women in interior spaces shown from this close-up vantage point.
A picture of the painting was published one time in the 1980s, making it highly rare and unknown. Caffey said Winslow Homer was a master of watercolor.
He could achieve things with watercolor that other artists were not able to, such as, the color white and the effects of three-dimensions, Caffey said.
The Brown Bag lunches, hosted by Forsyth Galleries, are meant to inspire students to be more aware of the art resources located on campus and make art a topic of conversation.
David Luna, a senior finance major and student worker at the Forsyth Gallery, said being aware of on-campus art is important for a persons educational, cultural and emotional well-being.
A painting can express education, lifestyle, culture, emotion and feelings. A picture says a thousand words and will strike up conversation and help students in an educational and social aspect, Luna said.
Winding The Clock and Female Sexuality will be presented on Thursday, Oct. 18 from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. at Forsyth Gallery on the second floor of the MSC. Students are encouraged to bring a lunch with them. .
Seating for the discussion is limited. RSVPs can be made by calling 979-845-9251 or by emailing [email protected].