Purrfect study spot

Photo by Photo by Melanie McBride

H&J Tea House provides a relaxing experience for people to study with their favorite cups of coffee or tea alongside several cat companions.

When you need a place to relax, H&J’s Tea House provides an escape from everyday routine — and cats.
A double door system ensures cat residents don’t escape, but once the second door opens, be prepared to be greeted by curious cats eager for pets or play.
Growing up with a cat and now having my own here in College Station, I was eager to visit to see the local cat cafe, especially the ones up for adoption. A shelf filled with toys and wands assures visitors the kitties are ready to play.
Prince was the first cat to pay a visit to our table. A gray Maine Coon, he was eager to just sit and soak in the attention as we chatted with owner and international graduate student Hao Ju. Hao brought the cat cafe concept to
Aggieland in August 2021 after visiting similar places in San Antonio — and China.
“College Station to me isn’t like a place with a lot of fun,” Ju said.“I don’t drink; I
don’t really do any outdoor sports. So it was until last January when I spent New Year’s Eve with my girlfriend’s family in San Antonio, and we were just randomly searching for fun places to visit and the cat cafe pops up.
“I’m from China — where cat cafes come from — and I think I can do a better one, and I think College Station is the right fit,” Ju said.
Beds of all sizes and plushiness as well as scratching posts are scattered around the room, while tubes and tracks line the walls where cats can find refuge. Many cats sit and observe passersby through the large glass windows at the front of the cafe.
Beyond communing with cats, the cafe also offers a variety of teas, taro milk, matcha and coffees as well as a variety of drink modifications and flavors to add.
Cafe admission is charged by the half hour: Monday through Thursday is $6 for 30 mins with no drink and $11 with a drink; an hour is $9 with no beverage and $14 with a drink. On the weekends, half-an-hour with no drink is $8 and $13 with a beverage.
For an extra $2, purchase a cup of temptation treats to lure in feline snuggles, or choose a $3 cup of wet food to lure cats to your table. Patrons are asked to only feed the cats treats purchased from the facility.
With 17 permanent feline residents, Ju said most are retired show or breeding cats so they are used to being around large groups of people. Adoptable cats from the Houston Hu- mane Society sport purple collars and white collars indicate owner-surrendered cats, according to the cafe website.
To ensure the safety of the feline residents and cafe guests, H&J Tea House requires everyone to sign a waiver including a list of house rules. Visitors agree to not pick up the cats and cafe visitors must be at least 5 years old. Visit hnjsteahouse.carrd.co for all the details.