Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) dlivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Kentucky at the NCAA Men’s College World Series at in Omaha, Nebraska on Monday, June 17, 2024. Prager went for 6.2 innings, allowing two hits and zero runs. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

Pursuing his passion

Photo by Photo by Audrey Capra

Environmental studies senior Justin Wiley performed at the ‘Tell Your Story‘ Project Nov. 9. 

As Justin Wiley stood behind the mic for the last time in Bryan-College Station as a student, he couldn’t help but think about all of the support he’s had throughout the years.
On Nov. 9, Wiley participated in the ‘Tell Your Story’ Project, where students can showcase their talent in front of their peers. Wiley, a self-taught musician, not only sings, but plays the guitar, piano and produces his own music.
As a freshman in high school, Wiley began to take interest in creating his own music.
What started out with the creation of simple beats, rhythms and rhymes soon developed into a passion that would drive his future endeavors.
By his junior year of high school, Wiley decided to enhance his musical abilities by joining the school’s choir and taking vocal lessons.
“I wanted to create music,” Wiley said. “I enjoyed the creation of music and just the entire process, and I hope that the music can speak for itself in the end.”
During his freshman year, Wiley continued his music career as a member of the band Othello. Wiley said Othello was inspired by a mixture of genres, including alternative music and R&B. However, Othello came to an end when members became too busy with school. Wanting to continue to pursue music, Wiley transitioned into performing as a solo artist.
Since then, Wiley has continued to work on his music by diving into a wide range of genres. Wiley also has gone through a rebranding period by changing his stage name to Jay Wile and making his music more available.
Although Wiley is taking large steps towards seeing his dreams as an artist come true, he said he couldn’t have done it without support from family and friends.
“They are talking to people for me,” Wiley says. “My close friends have all invested themselves, but even my general friends here and abroad have really shown that they care.”
Jake Bracher, Class of 2016, has helped Wiley create a fan base in Chicago. Bracher said Wiley’s music is soulful and more than just singing.
“The first time I heard him sing I felt it,” Bracher said. “There’s singing, and there’s sanging. And that man can sang.”
According to Bracher, he and Wiley are close friends and have been working together musically for a few years now.
Bracher said Wiley is unlike other artists he’s worked with, standing out from the rest with his drive and talent.
“A passion and knowledge for music are two of his strengths,” Bracher said. “A hunger to learn, mixed with natural talent are the keys to success within the industry and you can definitely see both in Justin.”
According to Wiley, his family has now seen the true passion he has for his music and encourages him to chase after his dreams after he graduates from A&M.
“My parents, they have definitely been more supportive this time around,” Wiley said. “They have always heard of me making music, but for them to actually see the party we made, they were very happy. My dad always stressed finishing school, but the last time I saw him he said, ‘After you finish school you chase that dream and ambition you have.’”
Though he plans to stay independent to retain creative freedom, Wiley said he would consider working with a label if he felt sure he would still be able to create the message he wants to send through his music.
Although he plans to be an independent artist to ensure his music is open and transparent with who he is, Wiley says things may change if the music industry is still able to create the message he wants to send through his songs.
Wiley has all of his records, ‘Stratified,’ ‘In Between’ and ‘Blue Patio,’ available on iTunes, Soundcloud, Spotify, YouTube and Tidal.