Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

Rec center aims to get students moving

Provided

Fitness and wellness coordinator Miranda Price leads a class at the Rec Center. The Rec offers hundreds of classes, ranging from ballet and barre to kickboxing and bootcamp.

The Texas A&M Student Recreation Center, often just called  The Rec, offers hundreds of classes and activities for all levels of athletic ability.
Whether students are looking for ballet, rock climbing, group fitness classes or other activities in between, fitness and programs director Anna Taggart said the Rec Center aims to get students moving.
Taggart teaches group exercise classes and said she thinks they are one of the best forms of exercise. 
“I think the thing that group fitness has going for it is the motivation and accountability factor,” Taggart said. “Someone is actually there in front of you, telling you what to do, helping you and motivating you along the way, as well as the other people in the room.” 
Fitness and wellness coordinator Miranda Price said there are a lot of ways people can keep exercise a consistent part of their lives.
“Putting it on your schedule is important,” Price said. “A lot of times, when you put working out into your schedule, you are more committed to go.  You have the reminder of ‘oh yeah, I’m going to this class at this time.’” 
Taggart said the Rec offers classes at the same time each week to help students maintain consistency in their workout schedules.
“The good thing is that we offer classes throughout the entire semester, so once you find a schedule that works for you, whatever it is, you can put that in your calendar,” Taggart said. 
Kinesiology sophomore Grace Duffy is an avid group exercise class attendee and said she believes working out has had a positive impact on her studies.
“I think that working out helps me get refreshed in the middle of my studying and makes [that time] more effective,” Duffy said.
Taggart said finding an exercise that is truly enjoyable will make working out feel like a break, rather than an ominous chore. 
“Yes, I want people to come to group fitness classes and our programs, but if they are coming into the Rec Center for intramurals, if they are coming to swim, if they are coming to rock climb, I am just as happy because that’s what they enjoy, and they’re moving,” Taggart said.