Reds Fest brings robust flavor to B-CS

%26%23160%3B

Photo By Nikita Redkar-The Battalion
When one thinks of delicacies such as red wines aged in barrels of oak, craft beer and showcases of handcrafted artwork, Bryan, Texas might not be the first venue that comes to mind.
However, this weekend’s 8th-annual Texas Reds Steak and Grape Festival brought fine dining, artisan craft and performing and visual arts to Historic Downtown Bryan.
The event served as a showcase for local artists, shops, restaurants, wineries, breweries and regional bands.
Lining the streets of Downtown Bryan were 26 vendors, each native to Texas, offering an array of craftwork, cuisine and artwork.
The festival was an opportunity to promote the art culture and soul of the Brazos Valley. It provided a refreshing twist on the typical Bryan scene.
In honor of Texas grape harvest season, more than 30 wineries from across the state were exhibited this year. The wineries were lined in two rows, each with their own tent.
Representatives from every winery assisted festivalgoers in selecting samples of wines that were catered to each attendee’s individual preferences. Festivalgoers, 21 and above, were able to sample and purchase wine.
The wine tasting was an event that both novice samplers and experienced connoisseurs could enjoy. A multitude of selections were available to wine tasters. From light and fruity whites such as a crisp Chardonnay, to robust and hearty Cabernets, the tasting offered something for every taste and palate.
Attendees also had a chance to put their best foot forward and give a try at grape stomping — the original method of extracting grape juice for wine.
Grapes rested plump and ready in large basins. Barefoot, guests stomped their hardest to produce grape juice for a chance to be the 2014 grape-stomping champion.
With all the sights, smells and tastes from vendors scattered about, more than 50 bands playing on six stages throughout the weekend appealed to the auditory senses. An eclectic mix of sounds -— including jazz, alternative rock, country and Latin fusion — filled the air.
Performers came from all around — from as close as Bryan-College Station to as far as Nashville, Tenn.
Texas Reds gave Bryan-College Station a little bit of flavor and flair. The festival provided the community with a taste of the finer things and brought out the area’s true culture and diversity.
Victoria Rivas is an international studies senior and a life & arts writer for The Battalion.