Reflecting the strength and resiliency of family on stage

Steel+Magnolias
Photo by Photo by Annie Lui
Steel Magnolias

The well-known film “Steel Magnolias” was brought to life on a stage set with nothing but six chairs, six microphones and a background of a welcoming hair salon playing nostalgic music from the 1980s.
Held in Rudder Theater at 7:30 p.m. on October 24 and put on by the non-profit organization LA Theatre Works, “Steel Magnolias” reveals the strength and perseverance of family and friends through tragedy. Painting the picture of a small town in Louisiana and six women who live there, the performance was a live radio play where the actresses had nothing other than a few costume props and the recorded background sound effects.
The performance received a standing ovation and deserved more than such an applause, according to OPAS student committee chair and recreation, park and tourism sciences junior Jake Vasquez.
“I thought it was phenomenal,” Vasquez said. “It was a great story and the actresses were stunning to watch perform.”
OPAS director for resources development and kinesiology junior Brooke Merrill said the message she gathered from “Steel Magnolias” is to not take friendships and family for granted but to cherish them. This is a lesson that Aggies can take to heart, according to Merrill.
“College is really unique ‘cause we are all in this environment for four years, give or take, and some of the people we meet here won’t be around after graduation,” Merrill said. “[Steel Magnolias] can give college students the message to enjoy our time here with friends before they’re gone and real life begins.”
The message of the importance of family and friends is similar to another lesson that all Aggies will learn in time, according to Vasquez.
“[“Steel Magnolias”] is relevant because it shows that family isn’t just who you are blood-related to but the people who care about and support you the most,” Vasquez said.
Co-founder of OPAS and audience member Ann Cobb said despite the play being in an unexpected format, the talent was wonderful, and the actresses revelled in artistry.
“I enjoyed the show and that the actresses had their timing down pat,” Wiatt said. “I wasn’t sure what to expect, as I thought it would be traditional acting, but the play was great and the talent was amazing.”