Renewing a tradition

Sophomore Grant Lee, junior Matthew Hill and sophomore Jared Holbrook are pictured in their Winter Bravos. The uniform features thicker, darker pants and a short or long sleeved top. 

An organization rich in history, the Corps of Cadets has brought back a tradition not seen on campus in years — wearing their Winter Bravo uniforms.
Worn after daylight savings, the uniform includes a darker, thicker pair of pants along with the option to wear a long sleeve or short sleeve bravo top. This option is more convenient for the constant weather changes that occur in College Station.
Many within the Corps are skeptical of the change, but the chance to bring back an old uniform is exciting, according to Rebekah James, recreational parks and tourism sciences senior and Corps of Cadets public relations officer.
James said the change in weather is what spurred the decision for the uniform change. Their business casual is the Bravo class uniform which includes a jacket for colder weather. The Winter Bravo uniform was worn before the 1950s, making it a piece of history, James said.
“The Corps is evolving so much because of our campus growing and we have to maintain relevance,” James said. “Going back to old uniforms that were worn is a great chance to preserve a piece of history.”
According to Rhonda Kogut, director of the Military Property Warehouse, various changes are currently in the works. Not only are they implementing this uniform change, but renovations are being made to the Military Property Warehouse for the first time since the building was erected in 1969.
“This is the first major renovation that the building has ever had,” Kogut said. “The building has had miniature renovations but nothing like the renovation today where the whole inside of the building is getting a makeover.”
Kogut said the changes in the Winter Bravo uniform and Military Property Warehouse are really about the corps evolving as a whole.
“Anytime Texas A&M changes something, the little hairs on the back of people’s necks start to rise,” Kogut said. “Cadets today are slowly realizing their uniforms are historical pieces and how big of a deal the Military Property Warehouse renovation is, making a big difference for A&M and becoming much more convenient for our cadets.”
The United States Army is about to making similar changes according to both their website and Lisa Kalmus, curator for the Corps of Cadets. Kalmus said the change will be back to the pinks and greens uniform that was worn after World War II.
“The reason this is a big deal is the pinks and greens uniform that the U.S. Army is wanting to change back to is just about identical with our Winter Bravo uniforms, except for slight pocket size differences on the jacket,” Kalmus said.
Kalmus said the change in the Army uniforms could potentially impact the Corps because the Army warehouse departments would have these uniforms in supply.
The Corps will follow the former tradition and wear their Winter Bravos until Daylight Saving Time begins in March.